Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-17-2007, 10:51 PM
Top Dog

I must be the odd-ball in all this, because I don't want my dogs putting their teeth on me in any way, shape, or form. Sorry, that's just how I feel. And my dogs know better than to try & do so.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:13 AM
Loves off-leash training!

I've had German shepherds for a long time and been around many others and I've never heard of the term "culling" used for mouthing.

I haven't found shepherds to be any mouthier than other dogs overall. I teach all of my dogs when they're young that they're not to put their mouths on me - for safety reasons as much as anything, because if they put their mouths on someone else it could be taken wrong. But I also teach my dogs that I can put my hand inside their mouths and it's okay. I was just showing friends today how I can put my fingers into Khana's mouth and she'll just sit there holding my hand until I say "okay" .. *L* .. it's just a trust thing. Kylee used to "retrieve" my finger - I'd tell her "take it" and she'd take it into her mouth, I'd say "bring it" and she'd step closer to me still holding my finger, and then would let go when I said "give". It was cute, but I will admit that sometimes she held my finger a bit tight (I was using the same commands I use for retrieving a dumbbell, which SHOULD be held snugly).

Teaching my dogs to hold my hand/fingers hasn't made them act any mouthier. In fact, because it's not something that they particularly want to do it probably discourages them from mouthing at other times.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
Old 03-19-2007, 05:31 AM

I consider mouthing when the dog is a pup and is nipping/biting during play, which I found very easy to train not to do. my dog will come to me and take my hand if he wants to go out. it isn't a gesture that involves biting at all, I think it's sweet. I have never seen him do any type of mouthing, sweet or otherwise, to anyone else.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:08 AM
Top Dog

Gunnar will mouth you sometimes when he's playing. It's never hard and I don't mind it. He used to do it more when he was younger.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:42 AM
Don't encourage me..

Gus does the nibbling thing, but he does tend to get quite into it, so sometimes you have to tell him to "Back off" LOL! He doesn't mean it, he just gets all tizzy! He never mouths me, but when Christian has wound him up (Which I constantly tell him not to ) he will take Christians arm or hand in his mouth but very gently.

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Old 03-19-2007, 03:02 PM
Snow Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
To cull is to euthanize a dog.
No...To cull is to remove from the gene pool either by way of euthanizations OR spaying/neutering.

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"