Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-30-2005, 02:57 PM
Big Dog

I have to echo what others have already said, just give it some time, try not to let your feelings get hurt if the dog doesn't seem to bond with you right away. I have seen some extremely loving and affectionate Rotties (there's one boarding where I work right now that loves to rub against my legs like a gigantic cat). They are very intelligent, which means they may need a little more time to adjust than other breeds because they actually do think things through. Hang in there and keep us updated on how things go for you!
Old 05-31-2005, 08:04 PM
Love my pets

Oh, have patience with Veeno; he's one cute puppy!
Old 06-01-2005, 05:12 AM
Top Dog

Some dogs/pups are just more aloof than others. I have seen it in all breeds of dogs with all sorts of socialization and cuddling when pups. One Newf pup was aloof right from 4 weeks of age, no health problems etc. He is now 5 years of age and still aloof, he comes for affection on his terms, and this started as a pup. What I do with him (and I have been bringing him around slowly since I first met him). I talk to him constantly; when I talk to him I use an extremely high pitched child like excited tone I pretend to be overly excited to see him. Example, I come into the kennel and get down to his level and say in a very excited tone, "hey puppy dog, how are you?" talk talk then when I go over to see him I go directly for his belly for a belly rub, or rub him behind his ears or under the chin...or scratch his rear end. The belly rub works for most dogs (I have met a few that don't like the belly rubbed). This is not a dominant gesture and cannot be misconstrued by the dog and put them in defense mode. I have to be extremely upbeat around him, and low and behold he is coming around and now gets excited to see me and comes at a gallop and stops short in front of me so I can rub his belly.
You can also try desentizing them by using favorite treats (I live boiled liver peices). Make of the pup, and give a few treats...the pup soon will associate good things happening when you or others are around and belly rubs will be appreciated.

Last edited by Athe; 06-01-2005 at 05:47 AM.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:48 PM
Top Dog

What a cutie pawtootie! Look at the size of that tongue! Adorable.

Oh, and everyone seems to have the same tiles on their floors