Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-01-2007, 07:43 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd View Post
I admire those of you who take the chance .... I love all dogs , but would never bring any into my home that COULD hurt me , my dogs, my family , visitors etc . I could never bring in a dog that I might have to re-home after I've fallen in love with it . I'm too chicken !
Agreed with what everyone else said. I volunteer in rescue and I can tell you that the only time I have seen a pit returned was when it had heartworms and the new owners didnt want to pay for treatment.

Heck, the rescue I work with had a Chi returned last week because she "went after" the new owner's Huskies.

To the OP-I wish you luck. Everyone has given you great advice. You HAVE to post pictures when you get him/her though.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:29 AM
Walks into Mordor

Oh Lord....for Pete's sake, everyone! I'm pretty sure we all know that Grammy is not a pit bull hater!

I *think* what Grammy was trying to say is that she wouldn't feel comfortable or capable of owning a dog with the aggression potential of a pit bull! And yes, while all dogs can bite or have agression issues, I think we can all agree that you have to more careful with certain breeds....like rotties, pit bulls, dobes, American Bulldogs, etc. After all, isn't that what we tell EVERYONE who comes to these forums and asks "Is a rottie/dobie/American Bulldog/Cane Corse/Fila the right breed for me?"

Please let's not turn this into another debate. Pretty please? *sad eyes*
Old 03-02-2007, 08:33 PM
Top Dog

Actually the bully breeds were not and are not bred for aggression to humans they can be DOG aggressive which IS in their genes. Any dog can be prone to aggression, But HA (Human aggression) And DA (dog aggression) are two diffrent things. I guess what i'm trying to say is the bully breeds are more prone to being DA than HA, They were bred for fighting other dogs hence why the DA but bred to be good with humans. If you think about it back in the days when they originally started people bred for a good fighting dog in the ring but if it was HA it wasn't any good to the owner therefore put down, the owner needed to be able to have contact with them, now this is not my history but the history of the breed. Just my two cents.

Punish the deed not the breed

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0dC8BPA0V...rch=pit%20bull

Take a look at my site!!

http://tailsrus.18.forumer.com/index.php?act=idx
Old 03-02-2007, 10:59 PM
Top Dog

Good post elegy.

As for the "older dogs have a set temperament" comment, I just want to share one incident that changed the household routine once again. Akee & Shaker seemed to love each other. Whenever I was able to provide close supervision, I would bring the 2 into the house together & let them play, lie around, or do whatever they wanted to (except when Akee was in heat). For a little over 5 years they had a great relationship with each other. One day, while I was in the kitchen, BOOM it came out of nowhere....or so it seemed. To this day I still don't know what started the fight, but it was an all out brawl that left my living room of my rent house looking like I slaughtered animals in there. I was home alone & it took me around 20 minutes to get them safely apart. From that day on, the never got along. Just the mere sight of each other got hackles raised. The moral of the story? It may not be yesterday, it may not be today, but tomorrow is a whole new day & anything can happen.

I do own several APBTs & we wouldn't have it any other way. They are athletic, they are cuddlebugs, & they are great with humans of all ages. But most are not good with other dogs. That's just the way it is. And my rescues are included in this grouping. IMO, if you are willing to devote lifetime of human-dog bonding vs. trying to force 2 dogs to bond & be friends, then you can make it work. But you have to really love the dogs & really want them to live a lifestyle of "crate & rotate".
Old 03-03-2007, 07:08 AM
Top Dog

Thanks everybody for your replies. I think I've decided that I will not get one. I actually only want to own one dog, maybe two and foster the others but I would not want to risk the lives of the other dogs. Maybe when the day comes and I plan to get dogs I may decide to stick to just one dog and if that's the case I'll most likely get a Pit bull from a rescue. We'll see, like I said it could will be 8-10 yrs. from now once I'm through college and am settled a bit I will get my first dog all on my own.Thanks again!