Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 02-28-2007, 12:07 AM
Top Dog

Default A little Housebreaking setback

Hi everyone,
Cheza's been doing really well with housebreaking; she rings her bell to go out and MOST of the time will hold it til we get to the door to take her out.
Lately (past 3-4 days at around the same time at night) she's rang the bell and then peed on the floor right by the door as we are standing up to get her leash on

So I've taken her back to square one; anticipating when she needs to go out, stuffing a treat in her mouth after she pees outside, making sure I ring the bell and say "outside!" when we go, regardless of whether she rang it.

She has free access to water all day from when she gets up in the morning til 10:00 at night, then we take it away. These accidents happen around 7-8pm it seems. And even more strange, right after she pees inside, she will ring the bell and go out to poop!

We aren't angry, she's only 14 weeks old and pretty much house-broken, just more confused as to what might be causing this. Are we maybe getting her so excited she doesn't realize she has to pee?

Thanks for reading
Old 02-28-2007, 11:31 AM
Top Dog

It sounds like you are doing everything right. It also sounds like you realize that she is still young and babies will make mistakes. Just be patient, adjust when needed, and praise when good things happen. I wouldn't discipline at all, because it seems that this baby is on the right track. Just keep doing what you're doing and you'll have one perfect dog someday!

How to Love Your Dog http://loveyourdog.com
Therapy Dogs.Net http://therapydogs.net