Needing "THE" pep talk.....again

Debi

Tomorrow is Hammie's neutering surgery. Yep...I know all the good about it..know I HAVE to do it. Can't help feeling worried......and somewhat sad about it. I guess I just don't like the general idea of him in any pain. How in the world did I get so wrapped up in this guy anyway?? LOL I'm still fretting about him......not so much the actual surgery, but that he won't take to being walked off. Yes, he is that attached....and that unsocialized.

One thing is for certain........once this is all over, I won't have to witness my hubby, son, and son-in-law making terrible faces whenever the discussion has come up. OK.....someone tell them......IT'S NOT THEM!!!!!!!! LOL LOL Sorry men.........but I didn't see those 'faces' when Addie got spayed!

I probably won't be back here til after it is all said and done.......but IF I get a chance to check in........PLEASE, cheer me up. :eek: He will be at the vet by 9 A.M. I won't hear anything til I call at 3........you may have to deal with me inbetween! :(

Debi

I just talked with the vet's office...They are gonna just muzzle my buddy to take him. :( Ok......I would have rather they let me stay til he was sedated..........but that is not how they do things. :( Majorly bumming here..................poor, poor Hammie. How can I let him think he is just abandoned. OK...thinking more rationally here..........it will be ok..right?? Bet you're glad you never knew me when my children were little. lol I would have really been a pain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So, my Hammie will be muzzled....taken..but it's only for a day. :( Come on.......needing some help here..............lol :(

Sorry, Debi, you won't get this until the trauma is mostly over.

You do realize, don't you, that Hammie's going to figure out just how guilty you're feeling and is going to take full advantage . . .

Debi

Well...we're home. Hammie is OUT OF IT!!!! Like bringing home a drunken sailor (not that I've ever brought one home, of course.... :rolleyes: ) I had to take the plastic collar off just to get him to crash....he was banging into walls and I was trying to control him. If I would see a video of all this tomorrow...I'd probably laugh. I have to sleep downstairs with him tonight (making my hubby real happy there.. :( ) But...it's OVER. I had to go shopping to relieve stress....so I ended up buying massive amounts of fabric. :p Now, I'm exhausted...so Sir Ham and I are both putting our feet up. I couldn't sleep last night..........silly, huh?? I'll put that collar back on when he is himself again......don't want him licking the sutures.

Renee........I've already created a little diva again. All my work to get him into the pen at night has flown out the window. I kept him in last night so he'd stay clean, and he didn't even want to go out at first this morning.....didn't want to risk leaving the comforts inside. I bet he milks this for all it's worth!! :)

Debi

Well....Hammie and I are both miserable. He has the collar back on and crashes into everything, including my face, constantly. He doesn't feel well at all, poor baby. They said he'd likely be lethargic for 3 days or so. He doesn't seem to be in pain, tho. Keeping him and Addie separated is tough. Addie feels neglected and has to spend time with Dave in the garage....luckily he is home for a couple days. :) At least our pounding rain has stopped!!!!!

Renee, when not being obsessed with the pups...I sew constantly. Got some great deals yesterday. I've got curtains on the agenda, as soon as Sir Ham feels better. I also make dolls.

Do you think it's normal that Hammie hasn't wanted to eat yet???? He has taken a little water. He seems so thin already.

I wouldn't worry too much about his appetite. Anesthesia is really what's hard on them, much more so than surgery. Try him on some chicken broth, then some of his food with broth.

As long as you're supervising, it probably won't hurt to let Addie see Hammie. Just let your husband sit with Hammie while you go out and wear her out playing or taking a walk first so she won't be too rambunctious.

When Shiva was stitched up, I gave up on the Elizabethan collar after about 2 hours. She cried, she bumped into everything, it was impossible for her to get through a door with out making at least three tries (can you imagine the size of the collar it took for her!), so I took it off of her and just kept a close eye on her. Once I took it off of her she calmed right down. I kept vitamin E oil on the stitches so they wouldn't itch so much and tempt her to pull on them, and I kept plenty of her toys around her.

Sewing . . . I have a love/hate relationship with sewing. I can't seem to put down a project until it's finished, so I'll end up working 'round the clock to get it done. I've done some stellar creative work at 4:00 a.m. The most fun projects I've ever done were pro-wrestling costumes. Talk about problem solving and getting creative! My Mom and I got immersed in making porcelain dolls. Her basement is overflowing and she's got an entire room added onto her house full of doll molds. I think the kiln count is up to three now, along with the pouring table, etc., etc. THEN she bought a quilting machine! Oh, the possibilities I see there! Along with the embroidery machines and sergers! Between the two of us we have closets full of fabric - just waiting . . . :D

When King got neutered, he came home and was a little unsteady, but seemed to be in no pain at all. He wanted water, and they told us not to let him drink for 3 hours, then give him ice if he wanted it for a couple more. My mother lives with me, and right away gave him a bowl of water, and he started puking. Then, after I get it all cleaned up, she DOES IT AGAIN. And the puking started again. It's amazing to me that it's usually easier to deal with a dog that can't really understand you, then it is to deal with a 77 year old!

Debi

Hammie's feeling great...eating, drinking. HOWEVER..that E. collar is still driving me to drink. I tried taking it off and he immediately wanted to lick...bad idea on many levels, but he has sutures that will disolve and I don't want to have him help things along. Soooooooooooooo, he has discovered the joy of coming up behind me and shoving....picture it being like I'm caught in a plow. His big head.....huge plastic collar.......me flying around. :eek: When I take him outside he wants to go into the woods as per usual........can't tell you what that's like with that freakin collar on. He has been so good about wearing it....sure he has......he's having a blast, I'm black and blue. I no longer feel sorry for him when I know the cat is laughing. :D Scares the bejeebers out of Addie. They are still separated cause he gets too excited and she takes being whacked wayyyyy worse than I do. Vet said leave it on for a week.............never gonna make it. lol

snookums

How's it going today?

Sophie was spayed a little over 2 weeks ago and came home with that awful collar on. We were supposed to keep it on for 2 weeks until the stitches came out (which was on Thursday).

Around Sunday the collar started snapping apart. We tried and tried again to get it back on secure, but it kept coming apart. If it was off she would try and lick the incision.

By Tuesday I was unable to get it back on at ALL. (Horrible design!) And I was worried she'd strangle with this half-on half-off collar when I wasn't watching. So I weighed the benefits vs the risks and took it off. I figured that at 1 week 5 days, if she pulled a stitch out, the world wouldn't come to an end. Amazingly enough, she didn't lick at all. So Thursday we just went and got the stitches out and now she's fine. Still dirty from 2 weeks without a bath (we bathe her about once a week or she starts looking really grungy), but fine.

And last night she grabbed that thing off the coffee table where I had left and started chewing on it and flinging it around...and I let her. I felt like doing the same thing to it.

Funny how you said he came out all loopy...when I picked Sophie up I even brought a towel with me to wrap her in thinking I'd be carrying out this loopy dog who was in pain. Nope - they brought her to me on a leash and she was as energetic as can be. That's my Sophie. :p

There's an antidote that they can administer now that snaps the animal out of anesthesia. That's probably what they gave Sophie. Dr. P. gave it to Shiva so we could bring her on home after he sewed her hide back together. Oh, was THAT a mistake! She was wide awake and full of energy - NOT the way you want a 120 pound dog with a 6" X 7" stitch job in her side. She slung her bandage off, blood all over the place, wanted to roll and play on the sofa, you know, the usual stuff. I ended up tying a sort of bandage around her middle, then getting an old T-shirt and putting it on her, slitting the tail of it so that I could tie it around her waist below the bandage just to keep it on long enough to get her back to Dr. P's for a better bandage job and a tranquilizer. Dr. P trussed her up, gave me a couple of extra bandage kits (looked like I was going to a M.A.S.H. unit somewhere) and gave her a shot of something that was supposed to just calm her down, but leave her mobile.

By the time we got home, she was falling down drunk! I thought I'd never get her back in the house; had to pick up her back end and move it forward, then pick up the front end and move it. I covered the sofa with a couple of layers of bath sheets and rolled her up on it, made sure she wasn't going to move, took a hot shower, then collapsed on the other end of the sofa with her and a steady supply of Negro Modela! :p

The remains of the brobdignagian Elizabethan collar are out in the laundry room. She doesn't seem to bear it any ill will, though. But I do . . .

Members online

No members online now.