Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-24-2005, 09:05 AM
Felurian

Smkie, I'm betting they aren't crows - that they're actually starlings.

Our crows here are gorgeous and they are very interesting. I'd love to be able to 'tame' one to the point it would stay with me. They're very intelligent creatures. The ones here are so big; I'm not really sure they aren't ravens.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-24-2005, 09:40 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

the cockraoches or the bird world??/ and to think starlings started from 6 pairs!!Have you ever read Blind jack? I think that was a jackdaw actually..but my old boss had a pet crow he told me about once in awhile..it's name was Hansi and he said his mother would keep corn in the pocket of her apron..and that Hansi would fly down while she hung up the laundry and beg from her.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 05-24-2005, 09:41 AM
Top Dog

We have the sterlings, black birds, robins. Very busy out here with the birds. I've seen more carinals than ever in our neighborhood. Hope we'll see more hummingbirds this summer too then. I have a bush right outside our office window, I looked out one day to see 3 carinals. That was fun to see. But this is the first year I've ever noticed birds teasing a dog. lol, it's kind of funny to watch.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:45 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

my favorite are thrashers..shy and elusive, and the mocking bird of course..plus all the pretty little wrens..i have a bugler out near the grape vines. you hear him more than see him. There was one at the burned house that loved my blackberries. When i was picking them once a big black snake had coiled himself up in the bush and i knew he was just waiting for my little wren.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 05-25-2005, 12:29 AM
Dog Spoiler

Ya probably are starlings, either way I want them gone. They've started to pick on Boomer and Carry. Carry almost caught one that got too close but let it go. Hes such a good little helper. He always chases them off.

-Jon
Old 05-25-2005, 12:43 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv
ROFLOL!!!

Yes, I'd do what Renee said. That is positively getting out of hand....sounds like the balance of nature is screwed up a little in that area. I'd probably shoot them too. Those owls sound great, but the birds will get habituated to them and come right back. It would be nice to have a trained, pet hawk. That would fix 'em.

Yeah, it would be good to introduce a natural predator, just to keep the balance.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:36 AM
Felurian

The starlings will run off all the other birds, either directly or by taking all the food and nesting places - not to mention creating a possible health hazard. Contact your wildlife agency and see if they won't give you some good advice and possibly help.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian