Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-08-2007, 02:11 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasobuco View Post
What are you reasons for not adopting 2 pups from the same litter?
Littermates tend to bond to each other moreso than to the owner. I've found that littermates tend to even forget the owner exists - they are so busy playing, squabbling, roughhousing, etc that the owner sometimes barely registers. Two together tend to not listen very well because again, they are just too busy having a blast.

It's a nightmare for housetraining. When one puppy goes, the other usually immediately does as well. Instead of one accident, you've got two. Sometimes one is catching on to the notion but the other isn't - if you're not watching every second you don't know which one is and which one isn't.

There is no guarantee that littermates are even going to get along once they reach maturity. Some breeds are same sex aggressive - two bitches may fight, two males may fight. And I don't mean spats, I mean full fledged fights meaning harm.

Looking way down the road, there's a really good chance you're going to lose them very close together and that's not a pleasant thought.

The bottom line for me is a puppy deserves an owner that can devote him/herself to raising it well, and I just believe an owner that isn't splitting their time and attention amongst two puppies is probably going to do a better job and create a better bond with a puppy.