Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 02-08-2007, 02:11 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasobuco View Post
What are you reasons for not adopting 2 pups from the same litter?
Littermates tend to bond to each other moreso than to the owner. I've found that littermates tend to even forget the owner exists - they are so busy playing, squabbling, roughhousing, etc that the owner sometimes barely registers. Two together tend to not listen very well because again, they are just too busy having a blast.

It's a nightmare for housetraining. When one puppy goes, the other usually immediately does as well. Instead of one accident, you've got two. Sometimes one is catching on to the notion but the other isn't - if you're not watching every second you don't know which one is and which one isn't.

There is no guarantee that littermates are even going to get along once they reach maturity. Some breeds are same sex aggressive - two bitches may fight, two males may fight. And I don't mean spats, I mean full fledged fights meaning harm.

Looking way down the road, there's a really good chance you're going to lose them very close together and that's not a pleasant thought.

The bottom line for me is a puppy deserves an owner that can devote him/herself to raising it well, and I just believe an owner that isn't splitting their time and attention amongst two puppies is probably going to do a better job and create a better bond with a puppy.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:18 PM
and Spy.

^Agreed!

It's hard enough to devote all the time/training/socialization for one puppy, nevermind two.

Are you willing to pay double vet fee's, double training fee's, and walk and train them seperately?

~Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:25 PM
Top Dog

There's a lot of back story to this which I don't feel comfortable sharing in public but there was a great deal of interest in these very rare dogs from people who live in Pennsylvania and the unneutered dogs needed a new home immediately.

I have gone through this sort of thing before with a previous dog. I took one and my roommate took another. We kept them together except for training and feeding and they turned out fine however they were separated when my roommate moved back to his home state when they were each about 6 months old. We each trained our own dogs but otherwise shared in cleaning their pen area, feeding, and walking. It worked out very well. Maybe we were lucky?

I will look into the break-away collars and thank you for the recommendation on the cleaning agents. I'm speaking to other owners of the breed for feeding recommendations though I'm fortunate to have a premium food supplier 1/4 mile from my house. I will be getting them chipped, but state regs say every dog also has to carry a rabies tag at all times out of doors so I can't avoid using a collar altogether. I hope I can tell them apart!

I won't decide on names until I actually see the dogs and choose ones that fit their personalities, but that's the least of my problems.
People may scoff at you, who see not the lightest blade of grass bent by his footfall, who hear no whimper pitched too fine for mere audition, people who may never really have had a dog. Smile at them, for you shall know something that is hidden from them and which is well worth the knowing. - Lord Byron
Old 02-08-2007, 02:34 PM

Did I miss the breed of these pups? I have to strongly echo the same sex littermate warning but it sounds like there are extenuating circumstances. Many of my most serious dog/dog aggression cases are same sex sibs, it can be a very challenging undertaking and heartwrenching if it doesn't work out.

I'd love to know the breed though, it would clear up some of the concern and would enable a more consise list of appropriate leash/collar and other necessary stuff. You must be VERY excited.....PUPPY BREATH!!!

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Old 02-08-2007, 02:52 PM
Are you dead yet?

What breed are these puppies, Jason?

I would very strongly recommend that you not get two same-sex littermates. However, since you're set on doing just that, I wish you the best of luck.

My absolute favorite brand of leads for puppies are the "Lupine" kind. They are a rather firm nylon material that is almost totally chew-proof as far as puppy needle-teeth go. Even if they do get chewed up, you can send it back and get another one. I get them at the vet's office, but you can order them online too I believe.

http://www.lupinepet.com/
Old 02-08-2007, 03:07 PM
Top Dog

Thanks for the lead info RD! Lupine is sold at the same store just down the street from me.
People may scoff at you, who see not the lightest blade of grass bent by his footfall, who hear no whimper pitched too fine for mere audition, people who may never really have had a dog. Smile at them, for you shall know something that is hidden from them and which is well worth the knowing. - Lord Byron
Old 02-08-2007, 03:14 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD
What breed are these puppies, Jason?
I'll be happy to share that when (and if) I have them on Sunday.

And no, they're not LGDs. I may be crazy but I'm not insane.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:21 PM
Top Dog

Congrats on the pups! How exciting!
I'm so curious about their story now LOL. so mysterious-- "rare breeds" and in dire need of homes immediately.
Are you going to tell us ANYTHING else- what breed, when are they arriving?how old are they? what are your plans for these pups? Are they to be purely pets? Any competition plans in their futures?
I'm glad they will now have a loving home, but you can count me in as one who doesn't think it's a good idea to keep two littermates. If they need to be taken now great- glad you can come to their aid (if that's what's going on) but I would try to rehome one of them if it was me.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:51 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryAndDobes View Post
Littermates tend to bond to each other moreso than to the owner. I've found that littermates tend to even forget the owner exists - they are so busy playing, squabbling, roughhousing, etc that the owner sometimes barely registers. Two together tend to not listen very well because again, they are just too busy having a blast.

It's a nightmare for housetraining. When one puppy goes, the other usually immediately does as well. Instead of one accident, you've got two. Sometimes one is catching on to the notion but the other isn't - if you're not watching every second you don't know which one is and which one isn't.

There is no guarantee that littermates are even going to get along once they reach maturity. Some breeds are same sex aggressive - two bitches may fight, two males may fight. And I don't mean spats, I mean full fledged fights meaning harm.

Looking way down the road, there's a really good chance you're going to lose them very close together and that's not a pleasant thought.

The bottom line for me is a puppy deserves an owner that can devote him/herself to raising it well, and I just believe an owner that isn't splitting their time and attention amongst two puppies is probably going to do a better job and create a better bond with a puppy.

Thanks Mary Ann!
Everything you said makes perfect sense.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:21 PM
Int CH - $uperBitch

what breed?