Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-06-2004, 01:54 AM
Ass Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by K train
I don't know about the bored part a dog like that might just be pitching a fit because you're gone. Dogs are pack animals and some of them can't handle being alone and so they retaliate destructively. You may want to find a good dog sitter you trust that you know the dog likes. At night time let the dog sleep in the room you're in. If you can't find a sitter you may try to find a kennel near by call the kennel you find and see exactly what they do when you leave and give them a visit to not only find out about them but to settle your own mind I believe you'll like your results.
I thought I had always heard that it's not a good idea to let a dog sleep in the bedroom, especially not in the bed. Something about established dominance or something? Has anyone else heard this?
Old 09-06-2004, 02:22 AM
Felurian

I've never heard it, but it may be because no one had the nerve to say it to me. Bimmer sleeps on the floor at the foot of the bed, Kharma sleeps next to him, and Shiva either sleeps on the floor at the side of the bed, or goes back to the living room to snooze on the couch after we've fallen asleep.

All of my German Shepherds have slept beside my bed, with their heads toward the door, or just inside my bedroom door, on guard. When it was just Bimmer and me, he slept up on the foot of my bed until I fell asleep, then would lay across the doorway. Purdue, my first GSD, slept on the floor by my bed until my parents went to bed, then crawled carefully up on the bed. He was slick enough to get back on the floor before anyone came downstairs to wake me up in the morning. (lol) So far, I've had no dominance issues whatsoever, even with Bimmer who's part wolf, or with any of the Filas.

I think dominance problems stem more from owners' and dogs' personalities and lack of understanding than from where a dog sleeps.
Old 09-06-2004, 02:51 AM
Ass Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il
I've never heard it, but it may be because no one had the nerve to say it to me. Bimmer sleeps on the floor at the foot of the bed, Kharma sleeps next to him, and Shiva either sleeps on the floor at the side of the bed, or goes back to the living room to snooze on the couch after we've fallen asleep.

All of my German Shepherds have slept beside my bed, with their heads toward the door, or just inside my bedroom door, on guard. When it was just Bimmer and me, he slept up on the foot of my bed until I fell asleep, then would lay across the doorway. Purdue, my first GSD, slept on the floor by my bed until my parents went to bed, then crawled carefully up on the bed. He was slick enough to get back on the floor before anyone came downstairs to wake me up in the morning. (lol) So far, I've had no dominance issues whatsoever, even with Bimmer who's part wolf, or with any of the Filas.

I think dominance problems stem more from owners' and dogs' personalities and lack of understanding than from where a dog sleeps.
I hear ya. I think it was one of the trainers I had when I had my Rottie that told me that. He was German and kinda mean, so maybe it was ME who had the dominance problem.

Now that I think of it, his line of reasoning made sense. It had to do with (US) being the dominant ones in the pack and our "nest" belonging to us.

Recalling that failed relationship, I would have been better off sleeping with Roxy and making my ex sleep in the back room.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:27 AM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtGumbo
I hear ya. I think it was one of the trainers I had when I had my Rottie that told me that. He was German and kinda mean, so maybe it was ME who had the dominance problem.

Now that I think of it, his line of reasoning made sense. It had to do with (US) being the dominant ones in the pack and our "nest" belonging to us.

Recalling that failed relationship, I would have been better off sleeping with Roxy and making my ex sleep in the back room.
My dogs are looking at me right now, wondering why I'm sitting here giggling. If they only knew!

I'm assuming the Trainer was the one who was mean?

And I know just what you mean about the ex! My ex boyfriend was always after me to get rid of Bear, didn't want me to let him in the house, etc. Needless to say, Bear stayed and the Big Lummox eventually got run off. My Charley is wonderful. Like I told my Mom, how can you go wrong with a man who loves big dogs and fast cars? It's just a matter of having the right priorities!