Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 01-14-2007, 01:40 AM
Top Dog

What types of fruits and vegetables are good for the dogs? And what are the benefits of feeding them?

edit/// And what brand && flavor of yogurt? And what is the benefit of that?

Thanks.

Lucy Lu Deboner Ward CGC TDI (& 2 legs toward RN), Golden Retriever
Lily Lu Deboner Ward, Golden Retriever
Emily Deboner Ward, Llewellin Setter
Abby Deboner Ward, English Setter

I've been Frosted!
Old 01-14-2007, 08:16 AM
Big Dog

I feed Bella Canidae kibble with a spoonful or two of Innova canned. I also often add some canned sardines or herring. She seems to really enjoy this; I think the” fishy” smell really gets their attention. Try some sardine or fish and see if he likes that.

Bella Shepherd/Rotti mix??
Old 01-26-2007, 02:23 PM
Big Dog

I tried the Innova canned, and he loves it, but it doesnt agree with him. Gives him gas and the runs --- Not a good combination!

Want to see a Video of Stogie? Click his picture
Old 01-26-2007, 05:24 PM
and Fozzie B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhmanda00 View Post
What types of fruits and vegetables are good for the dogs? And what are the benefits of feeding them?

edit/// And what brand && flavor of yogurt? And what is the benefit of that?

Thanks.
I do not feed LOTS of fruits & veggies, because they basically have no benefit unless they're pureed. They get a huge variety of pureed veggies (cabbage, leafy greens, carrots, broccoli, etc) which provide tons of vitamins & nutrients, and over-ripe fruit as snacks. Their favorite fruits are bananas, apples, strawberries, & cantaloupe.

Get any brand (preferably a holistic/natural brand) of plain yogurt. The benefit is a great, natural source of probiotics.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 01-26-2007, 05:26 PM
and Fozzie B!

Toaster, have you tried Natural Balance canned? It has good ingredients, and it might not upset his tummy.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 01-26-2007, 09:41 PM
Show Dog

Default Carrots are Great

Since I posted a while ago I have been adding a bunch of other things into my dogs food. I alternate every day, lightly cooked eggs, shredded cheese, low fat yogurt, leftover meat. They run to their dog bowls!! Lucy has gained some weight recently but she needed too, she was pretty light for a Dane. Kona has maintained a nice healthy weight but her energy level has gotten even higher. I thinking about giving her rocks or something so she will tone it down a little. Just kidding of course.

For veggies I give the dogs, baby carrots. It has the same benefits as eating carrots for humans. Lucy does not care for the carrots but Kona loves them, but then as stated before Kona will eat anything that is not trying to eat her. The crazy thing is she looks at me a half hour later when I am eating with that look. You know what I mean, that look like , you haven't fed me all day.

Hans
Old 01-28-2007, 02:25 PM
Big Dog

Since making the switch to Innova (back whenever it was), I've not fed anything but Innova. My wife and I get in these debates over his food, but we both agree - so long as he enjoys it, its not an issue to us. I may have to try another canned..? I'm not sure yet.

Here's the issue I seem to have adding stuff to Stogie's kibble... He eats AROUND the kibble. Cheese for example, he eats the cheese - and leaves the kibble. If I add leftover anything (meats, veggies, fruits) he eats those items, and doesn't touch the kibble. I'm almost at the point like, why bother with "dog food" period? Just feed him the stuff we eat anyway - He seems to prefer it more.

Want to see a Video of Stogie? Click his picture
Old 01-28-2007, 03:48 PM
Cavalicious

I would suggest mixing it thoroughly through the kibble or hiding it at the bottom. You can grate the cheese so that he can't pick it out easily.

My Flickr