Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 01-24-2007, 09:49 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Puppy chews rocks?

Our puppy a Golden loves to chew on rocks from our landscaping. I this ok? She is 11 weeks old.(they are smooth rocks not the lava type)
Old 01-24-2007, 10:14 PM
Twin 2.0

No, rocks will break her teeth and she could form a blockage in her stomach if she starts to swallow pieces or small rocks.

Instead, when you see her chewing, call her away from the rocks and give her something appropriate to chew on; a Kong with some peanut butter smeared on the inside would be a good thing. Or a nylabone or a knucklebone.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:56 PM
Top Dog

lol, my friends dog does that too...he likes to play fetch with rocks, and is constantly hoarding them in the house...

luckily nothing has happened to him (i think he is 6 yrs old) that i know of...

Zoom gave great advice though...just focus his attention on more appropriate things...you dont want to risk broken teeth!!

Thanks Jessie!

Old 01-25-2007, 09:01 AM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

I used to work at a petstore. A woman walked in and she was getting some food, we started a conversation. I told her about my Buddy and how we had spent a few thousand on his medical care and she told me a whopper of a story!

Her lab, who loves to play with rocks, swallowed one. It got stuck in his intestines and they had to do surgery. It was a complicated surgery with complications. $12,000 later, he is happy and healthy- they have since cleared out all of the rocks from their backyard.

So, no, rocks are not okay.