Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 01-18-2007, 12:23 PM
Big Dog

Default Car Harness

My 35 lb lab pup has outgrown his travel crate and I can't fit a bigger size in my back seat. I need to switch to a car harness and was wondering what you guys recommend for a pup that most likely will NOT just lay down and stay calm in the backseat (which is why I had the crate in the first place). He would prob lay down after a little bit but I expect him to be pulling and trying to get to me, the floor, other side of the car, etc when he first gets in and is excited.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:18 PM
Top Dog

The PetBuckle is crash tested and fits any dog between 10 and 200 lbs. Herschel is comfortable in it and can lay down, sit, and even hang his head out the window.

http://www.immioutdoors.com/petbuckle/

Sitstay.com has it for $30, or $45 for the kit. For a dog as large as the lab, I definitely suggest you get the kit so you can use the tether.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:35 PM
Big Dog

I am looking to buy the Easy walk harness and would like something that is compatible with that so that I don't have to keep switching harnesses every time he goes in and out of the car.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-18-2007, 08:41 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Put the car harness over the walking harness.

ETA: we use this harness...

Old 01-18-2007, 08:43 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy'sParents View Post
That is exactly what I do.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:43 AM
Big Dog

Hrm.... My trainer told me I could actually use the Easy walk harness as a car harness (and use a seperate piece to attach to the car which she was going to try and find out what it was) so I was wondering if I could just hook up the PetBuckle teather (without the actual harness) directly to the easy walk harness for use in the car or is there something special about the PetBuckle harness that it needs to function correctly?

Also the teather mentions that it can attach to the round latch on newer cars and that it is located between the back corner of the seat. Mine however is located behind the rear headrest behind the shoulder seatbelt. Is the teather long enough for this purpose, is it adjustable?

http://tinyurl.com/2osk6x
Old 01-19-2007, 06:45 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy'sParents View Post

ETA: we use this harness...
How does that harness work? Does the seatbelt just slide through it? Does the dog have enough room to lay down?
Old 01-19-2007, 09:28 AM
Big Dog

Ignore the part about not having the metal latch on the bottom of the seat. I just never noticed it was there before.

PS Why the heck can't I go back and edit my posts, this is really annoying.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:11 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

The seat belt slips through the back where there is a slot for it. The front is padded and big enough to cover their chest area. Yes, the dogs can lie down.

Old 01-19-2007, 04:12 PM
Top Dog

I like the PetBuckle harness because it is crash-tested. Although the Easy Walk harness is great for walking, I highly doubt the buckles could hold the inertia of a 35lb animal in a collision.