Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 01-16-2007, 08:45 AM
RedyreRottweilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet72947 View Post
I've seen how they handle regular luggage. My dad and I watched them load our plane while waiting in the terminal and the guy would either throw luggage on the conveyor belt or slam it down. He could easily have picked up bags and placed them on the conveyor belt, but he chose to slam bags around. We hoped nobody had anything breakable in their luggage.
Those people have THOUSANDS of bags to handle in every kind of weather, plus pressure to keep the flight on time.

live animals are not to be placed on any conveyor, they are to be hand loaded.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:47 AM
RedyreRottweilers

https://www.aacargo.com/shipping/animals.jhtml
Old 01-16-2007, 08:50 AM
Squishy face

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedyreRottweilers View Post
Those people have THOUSANDS of bags to handle in every kind of weather, plus pressure to keep the flight on time.

live animals are not to be placed on any conveyor, they are to be hand loaded.
No, he picked up a bag and SLAMMED it down on the conveyor belt on purpose! He wasn't just tossing it on there.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 01-16-2007, 08:53 AM
Happy

Quote:
It sounds the same in there as it does in the cabin. The only thing separating you from the cargo bin is the floor inside the cabin.
Yes, and I have much less acute hearing than my dog and I resort to headphones or earplugs by about an hour into a flight, every time. And I can move around the cabin a bit, know that the flight is not going to go on forever, and have someone to talk to. I'm not saying the airlines are terrible, but the experience of flying seems very likely to be awful for many pets.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:13 AM
Big Dog

I was wondering the same thing, sometimes people get pets from Germany, or other parts of the world. What can be done to keep them safe, since this siutation may be unaviodable.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:29 AM
Top Dog

Thank you for your advice coopervane.

I am sure not all airlines are like this but unless a person is with a dog being flown at all times no one can say for sure what the experience is like, even a former airline employee.

That wouyld be like me saying because I worked for a certain phone company that all phone companies had the same customer service. Every airline is different. Rules are in place so things like this don't happen, but how often are rules followed, and how many people just don't give a rip about animals? Quite a few I think.

I would never leave my dogs with someone I do not very well. I would really never leave them with someone that has no connection with me in a scary place where it is known to be a dangerous situation.

Even if 99% of airlines treat animals well, that 1% is enough for me to refuse to ship an animal.

Thanks Steveinski!
Old 01-16-2007, 09:35 AM
Back of the Pack

Out of curiosity... how would you then go about transporting a large or even medium sized dog then?
I know I certainly could not bring either of my dogs as a carry on if I had to fly somewhere.
The carrier required for a 50 to 60lbs dog is much larger then what you could bring as a carry on so how would you work around that?
Old 01-16-2007, 09:46 AM
Bobsk8

Read this article

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/travel.html
Old 01-16-2007, 09:56 AM
The dog is never wrong!

I had to ship Babylon home from Alaska via cargo. 7 hour flight. Wasnt his first time flying in an airplane, but it did shake him up a bit. (Then again, he's scared of alot of things. Should have seen him when there was a snake in his area. You would think he saw a 20 foot python) And even then, I dont know if it was this flight that scared him, or the memories of the previous one.
And as for the heater, they made sure it was working. Which it wasnt. Which meant we couldnt fly. Good cause got to spend another day in Alaska, bad cause I was stuck in an airport for over 3 hours.
For puppies, I wouldnt even think about shipping them. (Even though I do know people who have, and the pups did just fine) And as for adults, I would at least make sure they are quite comfortable in a crate.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:04 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
It sounds the same in there as it does in the cabin.

The only thing separating you from the cargo bin is the floor inside the cabin.
Hey Red...since you worked for the airline..maybe you can tell me.

Is there any way of checking how the team puts the crates on the plane? Just to make sure they aren't throwing anything around, or is that impossible?

Also, what kind of insurance or guarantee do they have? Like, do they take responsibility if you take the dog home and its traumatized or injured somehow?

Just curious. I'd love to take Messina with me as a carry-on if I do fly in the future, but its hard to put a pit bull in your lap lol