Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-18-2005, 08:38 PM
Active Pup

Default taking puppy for a long roadtrip

Hi,

I'm going on a roadtrip from Philadelphia to Toronto and I want to take my 4 months puppy with me. I just got him a rabbies shot. Now my question is,

Is there any problem entering Canada with a dog and any problem bringing the puppy back to the States? Do I need anything like documents and such? Thanks in advance!
Old 05-18-2005, 08:55 PM
Active Pup

I personally have never travelled out of country with my dogs.
I would ask the vet, or even the airport for info.

I live in canada and I am not aware of anything that has to be documanted, except the animal must have all his/her shots up to date.

good luck.

Watch out where thoughs huskies go, and dont you eat that yellow snow
Old 05-18-2005, 09:04 PM
Active Pup

i know both countries consider dogs entering the country is importing. I just want to make sure that I have everything right. If anyone else know about this let me know.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:09 PM
Top Dog

It used to not matter since my family did it all the time -- but that was through the 90's. Time's may have changed. I'd call the U.S. Embassy in Canada and make sure of the rules now. Also, I've heard you now need a passport for yourself to get into Canada or Mexico... so times are a changing!
Old 05-18-2005, 10:36 PM
Top Dog

Do check, but I think all you need are the pup's records from your vet. Last I took a dog over was late 90s and I never ever was asked, but had all records with me. As to passports, I don't know if that's in effect yet...check, but proof of birth certificate may still be the only requirement.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:50 AM
Don't encourage me..

I have a passport for Gus for when we go to the UK!! But that is not really the same thing! As there is no rabies what so ever in the UK!
I would check with you vet or there maybe a site online for this sort of thing! It would be a shame to get all the way to the border and get turned back!

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Old 05-19-2005, 08:09 AM
Top Dog

I came to the US with my cat 3 years ago, all you need is a certificate of good health from your vet that is less than 7 days old I believe, and vaccination records (mostly rabies).