Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-18-2005, 10:34 AM
Active Pup

Smile Need help info on hookworms, PLZ

My dog just had hookworms, is it usually normal for dobermans to get those ? My dog is only doberman and mixed german shepherd. I gave her her medicine for hookworms, for couple days. Anyone know about hookworms, pls tell me do they come back again? What should I do to keep my dog healthy, and I cant afford vet bills. Mino got the shots and was discovered she had hookworms, had had to take medicine. Anyone know where info I could look into about hookworms from what website is the best. I would appreciate that. I love my dog, Mino very much.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:16 AM
Top Dog

Here it is again, but I did put it in the other post. Remember to scroll down a little and that is where the page starts on hookworms. Oh, and the type of worm your dog gets has nothing to do with it's breed. Any breed of dog can get any type of worm. I know I told you about Safeguard/panacur, but you can also use any wormer that has the active ingredient Pyrantel/Paomate. This is also a very effective dewormer and again, very safe. I would not get too worked up over this, as you can buy the medication over-the-counter, and if you are really worried about it, then deworm your dog once a month so if your dog is infected, it will never progress into something dangerous. It is not very expensive to treat hooks. Good luck
http://www.dr-dan.com/hookworm.htm
Old 05-18-2005, 04:50 PM
Puppy Dog

what kind of heartworm prevention is your dog on ? heartworm prevention also has ingredients in it now that can help control reinfestations of hookworms. hookworms can be hard to get rid of with only one worming series, you may have to do it 2 or 3 times to get rid of them all. good luck
Old 05-18-2005, 04:57 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

a long time ago my labrador picked up an unusual variety of hookworms when he was but a little guy..he got them in the cattle stock yards so they typical dog wormer was ineffective..they destroyed the lining to his stomach and we dang near lost him. The vet took him home and gave him transfusions out of his own dog..and sent him home to die..but he didn't. We had to cook him hamburger(with all grease poured off) mixed with white rice for almost his first year..this was before heartworm treatments..hookworms are bad news..in the south they caused people that went barefoot to have severe anemia and was one of the reasons they were considered "lazy"..my biology teacher in jr college told me that..he warned me because i loved to go barefoot all the time.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,