Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-02-2004, 01:19 AM
Active Pup

Default Someone Please Help

I have a Westie who's 10 weeks old. I got her two weeks ago. I also have two maltese dogs. One is 15 and the other 5. Both females and get along great with each other. They're pretty passive, get along great with children and adults, never have a problem taking anything out of their mouths. Definitely not aggressive. They both look out for each other. The Westie is also a female. The older dog definitely lets the Westie know where her place is. The problem I have is when I want to take something out of the Westie's mouth that shouldn't be there, she won't let go of it and then when she does, she growls and tries to snap. I'm not acustom to this because I have maltese dogs that don't do this or didn't do this when they were pups. I understand that westies have totally different personalities. When I finally get it out her mouth, she growls and tries to nip at me, I then, firmly tell her "NO" and proceed to put her in her crate. Am I doing something wrong? Because she doesn't seem to learn. I also have a problem potty training her. I was so happy, because she recently started going on the weewee pad, but tonight she urinated on the carpet 8 times. Thank God the urine is clear. I don't want to give up on her. I think she will change. I've put my hands in her food bowl and have also taken the bowl away, just to see her reaction and I was pleased that she didn't growl or become aggressive, but I am concerned that when I try to take something out of her mouth that shouldn't be there, she growls and tries o snip at me. Please help and tell me what I should do to rectify this problem. My concern is her reaction towards younger children who play with her and then adults.