Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 05-15-2005, 03:27 PM
Don't encourage me..

I alway have Peroxide!! It's is as Renee said very good for killing Anaerobic bacteria! (Bacteria that thrives on having no oxygen!) It flushes the wound with oxygen thus killing off all the nasties!! I always have it in stock for the horses feet!!

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Old 05-15-2005, 06:59 PM
Taco Dog

Yes, that's the same thing I always thought too. But my boss is a veterinarian. I work at a vet. And he said never to use Peroxide because it kills the white blood cells. The safest thing to use is Nolvasan.

"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast." Proverbs 12:10

http://www.petfinder.com
Old 05-15-2005, 07:21 PM
Felurian

Mine uses hydrogen peroxide . . . as does our large animal vet. Guess they have different opinions on the science

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-15-2005, 11:14 PM
Felurian

I'd forgotten I had this link. Lots and lots and lots of first aid info! http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/health/firstaid.htm

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-16-2005, 02:41 PM
Taco Dog

Yea you are right Renee. They can just agree to disagree! LOL

"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast." Proverbs 12:10

http://www.petfinder.com
Old 09-14-2005, 07:26 AM
Active Pup

Default Dog First Aid Site

I just published a new site called Dog First Aid 101. Much of the information is about preventing injuries, poisonings and illness, and preparing for the ones that do happen. I have an extensive list of first aid supplies at http://www.dog-first-aid-101.com/fir...-supplies.html .

I hope you find the list, and the site, useful. While the Prevention and Preparation sections are fairly complete, the Symptoms and First Aid sections are works in progress, as I continue to add pages about specific injuries, illnesses and poisonings.

Jeff

Save your dog's life with dog first aid.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:56 PM
boxers-r-us

On humans you can use a salene solution to clean out wounds - it's pain free and numbs to an extent...do you think that would that be safe on animals to use for cleaning? When I got my tounge and belly button pierced and when I had "spots" cut out that the dermatoligist thought was cancer all those were celaned by salene solution (can be homeade with sea salt (NOT TABLE SALT!!) and water or you can use a salene contact lens cleaner or you can get it from your dermatoligist). My piercer and dr both recommended not using peroxide or alcohol because they said it would just irritate the areas and cause more problems than good. I don't use alcohol other than to clean with and steralize jewelry but I do still use peroxide, just not on sensitive things like that. I think I would keep a bottle of salene solution too just incase.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:00 PM
Dog Day Pets

Default The use of Peroxide

It's been reported not to use peroxide on a "bleeding" wound as it will prevent clotting to the area, which means your dog could actually lose more blood than he would if you didn’t use the peroxide at all.
In fact, the best way to treat a deep, severely bleeding wound is to apply a clean cloth and hold it in place for five minutes, then tape the cloth to the wound.
That original cloth should never be removed – that also slows clotting – and should instead be layered with more clean cloths if blood soaks through.

I have a free report available for my fellow Chazhounders (Is that a word?) on Doggie - ER at http://www.dogdaypets.com/doger.html

Last edited by dogdaypets; 09-30-2005 at 01:41 PM. Reason: adding information
Old 10-06-2005, 05:24 AM
Active Pup

It's also important to note that Benadryl is a brand name that produces other allergy products that contain nasal decongestants (Pseudoephedrine HCI) and the pain reliever Acetaminophen (tylenol) which can be lethal to dogs. Make sure you ONLY use Benadryl Allergy (Diphenhydramine) -in the pink box. And unless you are good at reading labels, stick to the Benadryl name -avoid generic products which might confuse some people.

Old 10-06-2005, 09:27 AM
My pets love me they do

Good job Renee your list is also pretty close to mine, but I have to laugh because the list you gave for animals is what I have in my regular first aid kit.