Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-20-2006, 10:04 AM
Top Dog

Default Horse people: need advice about vetting

Hi Everybody

My offer was accepted the other day on a young Appendix quarter horse gelding. He is exceptionally well bred (his full brother is the top quarter horse circuit green working hunter in the nation) and he seems like a nice sensible boy with the type of movement I'm looking for. I hope to show the quarter horse breed circuit and some local hunter shows. He will not be old enough to jump for quite awhile, but someday I would like to do low hunters with him--2"6 --3ft at the highest.
Here are the details--he will be 3yrs old in March. He is about 16.1h He had about 60 days of training last summer and can walk trot canter-- has nice halts and stands like a dream. He was started a little young for my tastes but does not seem to have been pushed hard at all. He had not been ridden since maybe August until I tried him out last weekend (except for the trainer rode him the day before).
He is located about 6 hours from me and a local vet in the area is going to vet him for me tomorrow morning. It will be $50 for the barn call and $150 for the exam. The part I'm torn on is Xrays---sooooo expensive to run a full series. It will be $100 per foot and $80 per hock. The vet said he would call me after the exam--tell me the results so far and then ask about X-Rays. If everything comes out fine with every other test and this horse seems extremely healthy and sound--are the full set of Xrays necessary? I know that it is good to have a set for future comparison if anything goes wrong years down the line, but I'm not sure how helpful they would really be...I've been getting very mixed opinions on this. I know this is a decision only I can make, but I'm curious about what others think and what others would do or have done in this situation. Thanks! Here is a pic of him from last summer: