Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-20-2006, 11:04 AM
Kmh1's Avatar
Kmh1 Kmh1 is offline
Top Dog
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 481
Default Horse people: need advice about vetting

Hi Everybody

My offer was accepted the other day on a young Appendix quarter horse gelding. He is exceptionally well bred (his full brother is the top quarter horse circuit green working hunter in the nation) and he seems like a nice sensible boy with the type of movement I'm looking for. I hope to show the quarter horse breed circuit and some local hunter shows. He will not be old enough to jump for quite awhile, but someday I would like to do low hunters with him--2"6 --3ft at the highest.
Here are the details--he will be 3yrs old in March. He is about 16.1h He had about 60 days of training last summer and can walk trot canter-- has nice halts and stands like a dream. He was started a little young for my tastes but does not seem to have been pushed hard at all. He had not been ridden since maybe August until I tried him out last weekend (except for the trainer rode him the day before).
He is located about 6 hours from me and a local vet in the area is going to vet him for me tomorrow morning. It will be $50 for the barn call and $150 for the exam. The part I'm torn on is Xrays---sooooo expensive to run a full series. It will be $100 per foot and $80 per hock. The vet said he would call me after the exam--tell me the results so far and then ask about X-Rays. If everything comes out fine with every other test and this horse seems extremely healthy and sound--are the full set of Xrays necessary? I know that it is good to have a set for future comparison if anything goes wrong years down the line, but I'm not sure how helpful they would really be...I've been getting very mixed opinions on this. I know this is a decision only I can make, but I'm curious about what others think and what others would do or have done in this situation. Thanks! Here is a pic of him from last summer:
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:47 PM.

1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site