Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 12-08-2006, 12:21 PM
Top Dog

I've known a few Schnauzers and they barked when someone came to the door. But they didn't bark all day long. That's not a bad thing I don't think. As far as snappy or biting....again: socialization and training/good handling. Aggression like that....where a dog bites someone is hardly ever on account of the breed. (IMO) That's what they say about Chihuahuas. Mine have never bitten anyone, are very loving and friendly....They do have a tendancy to yap (above and beyond the call of duty. lol) but it's kept to a minimum because I got on it and taught them "enough."

I presently know 3 Schnauzers and they don't happen to bark excessively. I'm planning soon to visit the one who I haven't seen since he was a young pup. I'll see how he acts, how his owner acts and report back. LOL.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-08-2006, 12:27 PM
I'm All Ears

My friend has a schnauzer, which she adores. He's a mini, and very cute. He's really hyper and barks a whole lot, though. Not agressive at all, and great around her little nephew.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:40 PM
overdogged

i'm not a big fan of the little ones. they tend to suffer from little dog owners who can't be bothered to train, socialize, or teach them not to bark. (i don't have a lot of tolerence for barky dogs, so i tend to stay away from barky breeds.)

i like the bigger ones quite a bit more. they're a lot of dog, though, and not for the casual owner.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 12-08-2006, 06:32 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

I personally think they are ADORABLE. They have real spunky personalities. I've only ever met 2 in my whole life that I wasn't afraid of though. My neighbor bred/owned about 15 of them, and they were BIG barkers. They barked all day, all night. Half of her dogs were either deaf, blind, or crippled. I felt so bad for them all. I couldn't blame them for barking at all. Esspecially "Helmet". He was born blind, and so I know he must've been afraid of everything around him. "Helga" was the only nice one they owned. She was about 10-12, and very calm. She would always find a way to get out of their fence, and mosy on over to our house for some lovin'. "Missy" was the scariest one. The neighbors had me and my mom feed them for the weekend once, and Missy attacked my mom, and left her with an awful scar. Also, my best friend growing up owned one, I can't remember his name, but he was SOOOO sweet. I loved that little dog. I want to say his name was Pepper, but I'm not sure. He was a very loving little guy. As previously stated, it's all in the way the owner brings up and trains the dog. Althoug breeding (IMO) has some to do with it also. Good luck with your little one when you get her!!!!

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 12-09-2006, 01:11 PM
Wolfpack

She's a show dog and she's already been trained.She's used to other dogs and I think she has a good temper.Well, we'll wait and see, won't we?
Anyways, I'll let you know how it will go

Kiss Kiss
Nicco

Quote:
I presently know 3 Schnauzers and they don't happen to bark excessively. I'm planning soon to visit the one who I haven't seen since he was a young pup. I'll see how he acts, how his owner acts and report back. LOL.
Thanks, I'll be waiting on your answer

Old 12-10-2006, 07:34 PM
lovemypup

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
i'm not a big fan of the little ones. they tend to suffer from little dog owners who can't be bothered to train, socialize, or teach them not to bark. (i don't have a lot of tolerence for barky dogs, so i tend to stay away from barky breeds.)

i like the bigger ones quite a bit more. they're a lot of dog, though, and not for the casual owner.
wellllll.....just because a little dog barks doesnt mean the owner isnt training the dog. dunno why you just assume that

the way i see it, people who cant stand barking sounds shouldnt get D-O-G-S.

the miniature schnauzers that i have met so far always had a nice barking sound, very low and not loud at all. its an adorable breed in my eyes
Old 12-10-2006, 08:08 PM
Never enough pets

I don't know much about them but I got attacked by a mini Schnauzer and have not been a fan of them since I had the evidence of that scar on my chin. I guess if they are raised right they are ok, but after the attack I havent been a fan. Its not that I hate them or am against the breed, I am just not a fan of them just like some people arent a fan of GSDs or Pointers. *shrugs*. Good luck if you do get one, though.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:00 PM
Active Pup

I have a 5 months mini schnauzer. I have him for 3 months now. He is a calm little dude. He is the best dog I ever had.

I was deciding between a mini schnauzer and boxer. I chose mini schnauzer because of its size.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:44 PM
Big Dog

I had a standard schnauzer growing up (Rosie)...she was a wonderful dog. My grandmother had 2 mini schnauzers, Abby and Dina...sweet as well. I didn't find that they barked excessively at all. They barked at people out the window occassionally, and when someone came to the door. Really, all in all, fabulous pets to have.