Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 12-18-2006, 02:00 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPuppy View Post
Everybody says that about Goldens, but my dog has been attacked twice by (different) Goldens, once in a Petsmart. And the Golden down the street sure doesn't like him when we walk near his house.

My dog happens to like all dogs, so it wasn't his fault.
Yes, but they aren't supposed to be like that. It's bad breeding/improper socialization that's the cause for inceidents like that and the way breeds are given a bad name.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:48 PM
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2Pups View Post
Yes, but they aren't supposed to be like that. It's bad breeding/improper socialization that's the cause for inceidents like that and the way breeds are given a bad name.
Since the OP seems to be leaning toward adopting a shelter dog rather than seeking out a breeder, though, it's something to keep in mind - as popular as they are, there are a lot of labs and goldens and mixes of both out there in shelters, and a lot of them are going to be badly bred or badly reared. And you can't always depend on a shelter to do a good job of temperament testing. Personally, I've met plenty of DA labs, and a few Goldens. From my very limited experience in retrievers and setters, Irish are the ones who seem least likely to be snotty toward anything. I would think traditional pack or partner breeds - the sporting group, the hound group, etc. - would make the most natural 'group' dogs.