Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 12-13-2006, 01:05 PM
Puppy Dog

i can understand why some would assume they had not had vaccinations but it is true about many black and tan breeds still getting it even after being vaccinated.
two of hers have died and one more is on a drip at the vet still.
thanks for your well wishes.
to top it all my mother in laws dog got hold of a block of rat poison on the farm last night, we dont even know where it came from as they are not where the dogs can get them at least we didnt think so. She had her stomach pumped and was given charcoal so now its a waiting game.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:11 PM
Top Dog

How sad. We get many parvo puppies at work, because where I live, it is a fight to get people to take their animals to the vet for the rabies shot, much less something that is not required by law. We vaccinate and a few days later, the puppies are sick. It can be the vaccine that does it to them, because most are live attenuated and if they haven't gotten any immunities from mom, it can take them over the edge. Good luck with your little one! I know he will need it, but it isn't completly hopeless.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:41 AM
Owned by 3 mutts

what are the symtomps of Parvo?

Thanks~Jessie~

I believe in the Sun, even when it's not shinning
I believe in Love, even when not feeling it

I believe in God, even when He's silent.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:54 AM
Puppy Dog

sickness and dioreah (spelling) lethargy. They go down hill fast.
She has just lost the 3rd puppy to it.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:35 AM
Thanks, and Gig 'em.

Diahrea (bloody especially, but bloody diahrea should be a red flag anyway you look at it), vomitting, and lethargy. Parvo kills the lining in the stomach which is where the blood comes from and why they vomit.

Also Parvo has a very distinct smell to it, very sickening in the feces form.

Also parvo lives in the ground for 6 months, not 7 years. It's still an incredibly long time though. And Parvo IS treatable, it's just not directly curable. But you can treat it, else it would have a 100% mortality rate, which it doesn't.

But I've never understood why people outright refuse to believe parvo is a problem. Every now and then we get people that deny the parvo vaccine because they think we're trying to milk them of money or something. Ludicrous. And no convincing, short of actually showing them a parvo puppy (if we happen to have any in at the moment) will change their minds. I feel for those dogs.

And what sucks is when they come in a few weeks/months later with, guess what?

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!!' " - Author Unknown
Old 12-15-2006, 10:09 AM
Puppy Dog

what causes black and black & tan dogs to be more susceptible
j/w