Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 12-09-2006, 05:22 AM
Puppy Dog

Default hip dysplacia and dislocating shoulders

as a few of you may know Henna my 10 month old irish setter has hip dysplacia, well we have now discovered her front shoulders dislocate when she lays in a certain way too so its very hard for her to get up. She is very wobbly at the moment and i know she needs more pain killers but i really dont know if i can cope with her being like this for the rest of forever, its not that I cant cope with her but more i cant cope with seeing her like this as i feel its no life for her but dont know what to do, i feel horrible about it all and cant think straight.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:43 AM
Top Dog

Talk to your vet.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:24 AM
Top Dog

Such a shame . I'm sorry for both of you . And yes, your vet should be able to help you make a decision . Please let us know .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 12-09-2006, 11:42 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollybea View Post
as a few of you may know Henna my 10 month old irish setter has hip dysplacia, well we have now discovered her front shoulders dislocate when she lays in a certain way too so its very hard for her to get up. She is very wobbly at the moment and i know she needs more pain killers but i really dont know if i can cope with her being like this for the rest of forever, its not that I cant cope with her but more i cant cope with seeing her like this as i feel its no life for her but dont know what to do, i feel horrible about it all and cant think straight.

Are you sure they dislocate?
I had a Rottie with hip AND elbow displacia. He had to have surgery for his hips. His elbows weren't terrible, after full recovery from surgery and being able to use his back end more his elbow problem was only noticiable if he ran or played to much.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:47 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by J's crew View Post
Are you sure they dislocate?
I had a Rottie with hip AND elbow displacia. He had to have surgery for his hips. His elbows weren't terrible, after full recovery from surgery and being able to use his back end more his elbow problem was only noticiable if he ran or played to much.
this photo sort of shows it but it comes out alot further usually and also goes up under her chin.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:10 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
this photo sort of shows it but it comes out alot further usually and also goes up under her chin.

Oh wow. Looks very painfull.

Does your vet know? If not please see a vet soon.

I'm very sorry for what you and Henna have to go through.

Thanks Steveinski!
Old 12-09-2006, 06:56 PM
But please, call me Barb

Oh my, I hadn't heard of the shoulder thing.
Have you been to an ortho vet?
http://cal.vet.upenn.edu/saortho/chapter_21/21mast.htm
Old 12-10-2006, 07:25 AM
Puppy Dog

she is being treated by my vet and has been for some time, she is on all sorts of preps and other than operate there is nothing more we can do other than make sure she is comfortable,
I know many are probably thinking she should be put down full stop but i keep thinking maybe she will grow out of it (i know she wont) maybe its not as bad as i think etc, i have talked to my vet several times but im not ready to let her go (yes im selfish) i cant let go of the hope she may be ok and i will have put her to sleep unneccasarily.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:13 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
she is being treated by my vet and has been for some time, she is on all sorts of preps and other than operate there is nothing more we can do other than make sure she is comfortable,
I know many are probably thinking she should be put down full stop but i keep thinking maybe she will grow out of it (i know she wont) maybe its not as bad as i think etc, i have talked to my vet several times but im not ready to let her go (yes im selfish) i cant let go of the hope she may be ok and i will have put her to sleep unneccasarily.

I know the feeling all to well. Only you know her pain. It sounds like you are doing all you can to make sure she is comfortable. I really hope for the best with her.

Thanks Steveinski!
Old 12-10-2006, 10:16 AM
overdogged

i had a coworker whose cat, for some reason, all of a sudden had both her shoulders luxate like that. they did surgery on her to try to fix it, but i don't believe it was successful.

i'm very sorry. how horrible for you and for her.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?