Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 12-09-2006, 02:23 AM
Top Dog

Default What is up with him or is it just a weird behavioral thing?

Our dog Max, an 8 or so year old rescued Sheltie has been acting odd I guess. He seems to have to go out ALL THE TIME to go to the bathroom. He will stand and bark or point at the door until someone lets him out and he goes and pees really quick and comes back in. But he does this all the time when my mom is home. He is an extremely jealous dog and gets right in your face when you are paying attention to the cats instead of him or if you pet him and then stop and move on to something else. He is really pathetic about treats too. He will scarf down whole bones in minutes. I think he swallows them whole after a few chews. If it isn't food related he won't touch it. He even eats sticks outside, poo, mulch, etc. Anything with a strong taste or smell, but actual chew toys he won't touch.

Are these just weird quirky things that sometimes come with a dog with an unknown past? Or does anyone have any idea what is up with him?

Particularly about the asking to go outside continuously. My mom doesn't usually physically walk out with him so it isn't an attention getting thing I don't think. If he points to go out, my mom will sometime just say "oh go sit down" and he will and not ask to go out for awhile, but then once he does again, it is constantly.

I don't know if this is a big deal. It drives my mom nuts though. The wanting to go out a lot just started recently. But it is always something going on with him, some little quirky thing.

Any thoughts? He eats Premium Edge for senior dogs and gets half food and half mixed veggies for weight but he doesn't seem to be losing any. He has a solid lumpy body, no saggy belly or anything but he appears very overweight.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:26 AM
Dog Lover Boutique

Maybe you should have him checked by a vet. One of my female Yorkies did that in the past and she had a urinary infection. It causes frequent urination. It wouldn't hurt to make sure nothing is wrong. I'm sure your mom would appreciate it if he didn't want to go outside so often.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:32 AM
overdogged

vet time. and take a urine sample. does he seem to be drinking more in conjunction with needing to go out more?
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 12-09-2006, 07:05 PM
Active Pup

Our Bichon had to go out to pee every 30 minutes to an hour when we first got him, and it turned out he had kidney stones.
We had to get him special food for a few months and it went away.

I can't really comment on the other behavior but this or other suggestions could be the cause of your dog needing to go out so often.