Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 04-30-2005, 08:35 PM
Top Dog

Oh, and anyhow, nothing adverse ever happened to her, unless that's what caused her liver failure which she developed at around 13 years of age. But she hadn't eaten a rabbit for about 5 or 6 years. I very recently had to put her down at almost 14. (sad)
Old 04-30-2005, 10:42 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv
My Lab use to hunt rabbits all over my land. She got them frequently and lugged them home, swaying with pride. Sometimes she'd barf up the whole thing on the lawn and the flies would come swarm immediately. It was disgusting. Guess who got to clean it up and pour soapy water on the grass? Once she got a baby and almost killed it but didn't. It was way too far gone to hope to save so I had to finish it off with a shovel. It was horrible! She got lots of babies. It made me sad.
You know, I hadn't thought about it before, but mine don't seem to hunt the babies - just adult prey. Strange, hmmm?

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-01-2005, 07:01 AM
Top Dog

Really? Wow. Well, there's sure not much meat in a baby. Maybe your dog figured there wasn't so she'd just go for the adults.

Bonnie didn't always kill the babies. Sometimes they'd be unhurt and I'd tell her, "Drop it." And they'd go off. But often they were dead. It was not pleasant for me. It may be natural and all, but I'm a wuss when it comes to animals of any kind. LOL.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:44 AM
Felurian

I had to get adjusted to the idea that dogs really are predators. It's kind of a rude shock the first time your darling, sweet, angelic pup comes in with something dead hanging from his or her jaws surpassingly pleased with him or herself! My first GSD, Purdue, only killed rats and snakes. Mickey, our Terrier taught him to do that, otherwise he'd probably have treated them the same way he did anything else that moved - as something to be herded and brought home, lol! He brought home all sorts of things over the years; everything from terrapins to oppossums and baby rabbits. When we had a pair of Bantams he even herded those. The first time they got out of their fence and into the back yard we heard him making funny noises and found him crouching with the hen cornered and his mouth very gently holding the little rooster down. We decided then that the chickens were safe enough out in the yard with the dogs, lol! He was a true herding German Shepherd - the kind you only found bred by old farmers who knew their dogs. He lived to be almost sixteen years old.

Bear was the first who really introduced me to the reality that there's no discernable DNA difference between a dog and a wolf. I saw that dog stalk and kill groundhogs that were sitting right next to their burrows! He was a GSD/Akita mix - and a deadly hunter.

Bimmer is just plain efficient . . . One of our friends, Gary, admires him so much. He's always telling people that Bimmer doesn't need humans to survive; that he's capable of fending entirely for himself.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-08-2005, 09:52 AM
Big Dog

one of my cats,Max, caught like 100000000000000 rats and brought then all to my dryer vent thats on the outside on our house :\. its either wut i just said, or all the rats crowded there and breated eachother carbon dioxide and they all died right by it
and also i just found some new presents made by max.3 birds and 2 rats.1 of them (a long time ago) (in winter)was dead in my snow house!
Old 05-08-2005, 03:58 PM
no touchy

Rabbits live under our shed. At times we bring them out food. Once, a few years ago, Colby caught one....she's always been a good hunter. I don't remember how many mice she's caught. One time the girls found some baby mice in the house. Didn't do anything to them, just let us know "hey, there are mice over there".
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:46 PM
Show Dog

Schnapps ate a bird this weekend. Blue Jay, we suspect.