Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 11-26-2006, 04:10 PM
Active Pup

Default Sedating a gunshy dog.

My Dixie is very skittish when it comes to loud noises - storms, fireworks, louds crowds at the stadium behind the house, etc.

We talked to the vet and he recommended two benadryl, because doggie sedatives cost more than the dog.

It took us FOREVER to figure out how to give it to her - cheese broke, she hated peanut butter, finally we used white bread - spongy, malleable, it's perfect.

Of course, Wingus and Dingus get some bread too. They're too small for benadryl, though when Mikey got a major bug bite on his wittle foot, I tried to give him one in scrambled eggs, one of his favorites. Of course, his mom was out of town, so he wasn't eating out of principle. Dogs!

The boys also don't care about anything like tornado sirens or thunder overhead.

And Jasmine, our deceased shepherd mix, she cared. She was mad, and yelled right back.

Dixie paces like mad, goes upstairs -she never goes upstairs-, becomes my shadow, and when a massive storm swept through the area, she injured herself trying to hide.

That was summer 2003, and she was 6. That was it, something had to be done.

The benadryl work for her.

What do you do with your gunshy baby?

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer J. Simpson

http://www.xsorbit6.com/users/nytramsplace/index.cgi

http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f74/dixieissleeping/
Old 11-26-2006, 04:12 PM
Horses, Dogs, God-Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbi_Harlow View Post
My Dixie is very skittish when it comes to loud noises - storms, fireworks, louds crowds at the stadium behind the house, etc.

We talked to the vet and he recommended two benadryl, because doggie sedatives cost more than the dog.

It took us FOREVER to figure out how to give it to her - cheese broke, she hated peanut butter, finally we used white bread - spongy, malleable, it's perfect.

Of course, Wingus and Dingus get some bread too. They're too small for benadryl, though when Mikey got a major bug bite on his wittle foot, I tried to give him one in scrambled eggs, one of his favorites. Of course, his mom was out of town, so he wasn't eating out of principle. Dogs!

The boys also don't care about anything like tornado sirens or thunder overhead.

And Jasmine, our deceased shepherd mix, she cared. She was mad, and yelled right back.

Dixie paces like mad, goes upstairs -she never goes upstairs-, becomes my shadow, and when a massive storm swept through the area, she injured herself trying to hide.

That was summer 2003, and she was 6. That was it, something had to be done.

The benadryl work for her.

What do you do with your gunshy baby?

My dog is afraid of loud noises too. I put her in a crate till it's all over.

The Siggy Moves! Watch!

I'VE BEEN FROSTED and BEFRIENDED!
Old 11-26-2006, 04:55 PM
Fluffy Corgi Addict

Eevee used to be REALLY bad about fireworks and noises similar.

They sell calmative tablets at most pet stores. I bought those, gave them to her ahead of time, and then worked with her on her training while she was all calmed down. It took many months, but we progessed to working outside, without any meds at all. Now she hardly ever reacts to loud popping noises (and when she does, I leash her, take out the treats, and begin training her as a distraction. It teaches her to pay attention to me when she hears a scary noise). >^^;<

Eevee
13-year-old F Border Collie Mix - My Heart Dog!
Ravinel Fox Magick, CGC (Shippo)
8-year-old M Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Cheetah's Training Blog
Old 11-26-2006, 05:21 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

at work we have a smooth collie named flash. she is scared of lighten, thunder, guns, etc.
she will actually go into a sezuire! they have some seditives they get from the vet. it works.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:22 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

btw Flash is crated after giving the seditives. she usually well sleep for 8 or 9 hours after that because the meds are so strong. but her case is extreme so it is necissary
Old 11-27-2006, 12:06 PM
Happy

My dog hates thunder (thank God it's winter) and I'm very curious about the benadryl. I've never heard of that being used for noise-phobia, how does it work?
Old 11-27-2006, 12:17 PM
Top Dog

During loud storms, the kids and the dogs get in bed with me. Not much sleep, but what a party.