Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-23-2006, 11:35 PM
Top Dog

Honey_bear I understand that you're young, and there are some things that you can't control regarding your animals being outside. I think maybe the best thing you can do is educate yourself on the best possible ways to keep your dogs happy and safe and work on that.

www.lppboutique.com
Old 11-23-2006, 11:36 PM
Horses, Dogs, God-Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisykris View Post
Honey_bear I understand that you're young, and there are some things that you can't control regarding your animals being outside. I think maybe the best thing you can do is educate yourself on the best possible ways to keep your dogs happy and safe and work on that.
Honey's pretty happy, but I have to be very careful because she is VERY sensitive. She really reacts when you are sad too. Like when my baby pony died, she sat beside me and cried too. Literally. The two were buds.

The Siggy Moves! Watch!

I'VE BEEN FROSTED and BEFRIENDED!
Old 11-24-2006, 07:42 AM
Top Dog

Everyone has already made many of the same points that I was going to bring up, but beings as I have one of those XXL dogs, and I live in a 600sf home, I thought that I would pipe up. I have a 190lb Saint Bernard and a 60lb husky/shepherd X. Both of my dogs live in the home with me and my fiance. Yes, our home is small, very small...but not too small for us. Our dogs are part of our pack, and they are excersised for an hour minimum a day (rain or shine or snow). Tired dogs are good dogs. When they are in the house they are usually on their couch or taking naps on their bed, unless I am cooking in the kitchen! When they want to go outside, we go outside. Both of my pups are working breeds, but this doen not mean that they are meant to be outdoor dogs. On the contrary, Saint Bernards make disasterous outdoor dogs. They need the stimulation and sence of belonging only a pack can give. They NEED to be with their people or they can become distructive, aggressive (terriotorial), and depressed. Absolutely NO reputable Saint breeder will sell a pup with outdoor only conditions. And one of the largest misconceptions about giant breeds is that they take up so much space. YEAH-on the couch! Many giants can make wonderful apartment dogs IF they recieve proper care, like all dogs.

Now on the other hand I know of people who have LGD who are soley outdoor dogs, but these dogs are not only working breeds, they actually have a job. Someone already said it the best when their is a difference between "working" and "pet". Some workers like pulling Sibes and livestock guarding Pyrs or Ovcharkas for example, truely would be miserable if taken away from thier 'duties', but the typical pet dog is happiest at home included in the pack.