Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-22-2006, 12:38 PM
Top Dog

Jack (Parson) Russell Terriers have the energy and the drive of herding dogs. However, they don't have the "off" switch that a lot of herding dogs have.

I agree with Elegy. Well-trained Jacks are very impressive dogs. Unfortunately, do to movies/t.v. shows, most of us come across poorly bred JRTs that were bought because they are "cute, small dogs".
Old 11-22-2006, 07:45 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
i've met some really fun jacks, and i've met some really out of control jacks. it's so dependent on the owner. they are a LOT of dog in a small package, and i can appreciate that. i like dogs with minds of their owns and attitudes to match. unfortunately, a lot of people buy them because they're little and cute and don't train them and then the dogs are out of control.

but that's not a jack problem, that's a dumb owner problem.
Thank you are making some sence where other people have not.

I think people need to realize just because you have had a bad experience with a breed does not mean the whole breed is this way. If you state you do not personally like them because they ones where met where to high energy, that is one thing, but if you reasons is because the ones you met where agresive, that is another thing.

I could have said the same thing about pit bulls as well not long ago, but I was smart enough to realize they where not all like that and not judge the whole breed on only ones I had met.

We have a lot of jack russells around here, and even have a jack russell rescue not far away. They are just way to much dog for me personally, just jumping off the walls but they are cute!
Old 11-22-2006, 07:57 PM
Training the Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by misticaleclipse View Post
Thank you are making some sence where other people have not.

I think people need to realize just because you have had a bad experience with a breed does not mean the whole breed is this way. If you state you do not personally like them because they ones where met where to high energy, that is one thing, but if you reasons is because the ones you met where agresive, that is another thing.

I could have said the same thing about pit bulls as well not long ago, but I was smart enough to realize they where not all like that and not judge the whole breed on only ones I had met.

We have a lot of jack russells around here, and even have a jack russell rescue not far away. They are just way to much dog for me personally, just jumping off the walls but they are cute!
That's a good post, and a fair point. I must admit to being guilty of judging all Jacks on the aggressive ones I've met, which isn't really fair.

But I do still have to say, I've probably come across more Jacks than any other breed in my time as a dog fancier, and I just haven't liked ANY of them! I don't know why! You'd think being as dog-obsessed as I am, I would like them anyway!

The ones I've met, to me, don't seem like they are very nice little dogs - kind of nasty-minded. I'm sure that's really unfair and that there are lovely Jack Russells out there, but even the sort-of nice one I know still has that air about him.

But I've just remembered, a few weeks ago I rescued a little Jack (but I'm sure he was crossed with something - didn't look quite right) who was a sweet, darling little man. When I took him to the local shelter, they said he'd be a cinch to home, because he was lovely looking and had such a gorgeous nature. And they were right - I phoned two weeks later and he was gone. So there's been ONE nice one in my history - even if he was a cross!

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare, and love we can spare. In return they give us their all. It is the best deal man has ever made
Old 11-22-2006, 08:00 PM
Water Junkie

Gosh, have you noticed that all the post this person posts have gotten really flammed!

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 11-22-2006, 08:05 PM
tessa_s212

There is a jack russel at my local humane society. His name is Buster. No older than three years old. TONS of energy, but a sweet guy. NEeds training, and needs lots of excersize, but he doesn't bark and he is good with people.

HE'D be one JAck that I would defintely take home if I could.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:40 PM
Top Dog

I always can tell when the "jack russel" is coming out in Emma. She will chase after ANY small animal and bark like a crazy woman! She's only 5 lbs and has a little old man bark lol

www.lppboutique.com
Old 11-22-2006, 10:10 PM
Harumph™©®

I only know one JRT and he glows in the dark.