Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 05-04-2005, 12:32 PM
Active Pup

Question How do I stop puppy biting?

Hi! I'm a new member and I recently got a new puppy. He is a 9 week old beagle/terrier mix that we adopted from a shelter. We've had him for about a week now, and i've been amazed at how quickly he is seeming to pick up on house training and crate training. The only problem I'm having with him is that (and I assume this is pretty normal for puppies) he likes to get his mouth on EVERYTHING! We have a variety of chew toys for him, but he seems to prefer hands or pant legs to them. I don't want him to think that it's a game when I pull away from him (as he seems to), but I don't want him to keep biting either!

Can anyone help?

Thanks!
Tony
Old 05-04-2005, 12:49 PM
Top Dog

Oh... I think this is something we have all gone through... Our puppy at the same age did the exact same thing. Here is what we did:
If she grabbed on our pant legs we would tell her no, make her get off (pick her up tell her no, set her down) and then leave the room (we had a gate separating the kitchen, breakfast area and family room) from the rest of the house... When we came back if she did the same thing we went through the whole routine again. Eventually, she figured out if she did that we left the room and ignored her, she didn't like it very much. This is what we did when she would bite on our hands, tell her "no bad bite" give her a toy and tell her "good bite"... If she kept it up we would leave the room...
She is now 9 months old (we got her at a little under 3 months) and needless to say she doesn't do either of those things anymore and hasn't done the pant leg thing since she was about 4 or 5 months old)... Good luck and I'm sure others will have great suggestions as well.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:02 PM
Show Dog

Yorkielover is right, the best way to let her know that's not acceptable behavior is to say "no" firmly and then walk away.
------------------
The Dog Shop
------------------
Chihuahuas On The Web