Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 05-05-2005, 10:08 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Default Diamond dog food

Does anyone here feed they're dog(s) diamond dog food? I have been feeding my Mack Eagle Pack (ofcourse Shelby is TOO good to eat that) and I was hoping to switch my new puppy Hannah over to Eagle Pack as well but unfortunetely it would just be TOO expensive to buy for both of them, so my husband wants me to switch. Both Mack and Hannah's breeder used Diamond (well actually Hannah's breeder had mentioned black diamond dog food but I think it's the same). Anyway, does anyone know if that would be almost the same quality as Eagle Pack? Shelby REFUSES to eat Eagle Pack, she will only eat Innova. It's not really expensive to feed her every month so that is why she can keep her on that diet, but I went to the store today and a 20lb bag of Eagle Pack was like 30 bucks and a 40 lb bag of Diamond was 30. I was just curious on if anyone knows about it.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:09 AM
Felurian

You need to consider the difference in the actual amounts of each brand it takes to feed the dogs. You might be surprised and find out it's actually more economical to feed the better food (Innova) because you don't feed as much.

Mordy did a cost comparison and posted it here in the dog food forum. You should be able to find it with a search.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-06-2005, 12:48 PM
no touchy

Diamond is an OK food, but Innova is a bit better. If she likes it and you can afford it, I'd keeping feed that.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:51 PM
Island dweller

Innova is top notch. Especially the EVO. If you can keep her on it you should. It'll be much better in the long run.

I don't know anything about Diamond. I keep thinking of the brand of cheese! I need more sleep
Old 05-06-2005, 02:35 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Well Shelby is on Innova because that is the only kibble I can get her to eat. The other two I was planning on feeding Eagle Pack to. I can afford to feed Shelby the Innova because she's a lot cheaper to feed than Mack (who is pushing 65 pounds) and then the new puppy. I wish I could feed them all the Innova, though. We are on a tight budget now, seeing as we have another puppy to worry about puppy shots and spaying for, so now we have to cut corners atleast for a few months. I don't mind spending the $50 dollars or so on food that I spend on the dogs, but for right now I have to worry about getting them fixed and getting they're shots as well.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:59 PM
Quigleyfied

sadly, overall the regular diamond line is pretty poor quality food. they do not use human grade ingredients and the kibble is mostly byproduct based.

if you can't afford to pay a lot of money for good quality food right now, see if you can locate "healthwise" or "prism" at a feed store near you. they are the "budget" brands made by natura and eagle pack. same ingredient quality, just a lower meat content and thus cheaper.

i'd rather compromise on the quantity of meat protein in the diet for a while but stick with good quality rather than feeding poor quality food altogether.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 05-06-2005, 10:32 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Yeah me too. Good thing I haven't opened the bag yet. I'll call and see if they have it and return the Diamond dog food tomorrow.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:43 AM
Big Dog

good now u will get better stuff