Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-09-2006, 11:31 PM
Training the Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Honestly, they're much more likely to sell you a male. I've got two male show potentials, and I'm hoping for a bitch the next time. Beau's breeder said she'd help me find one in a year or two when I'm ready. Males are a lot more easy going imo and heat is a pain to deal with.
Good Lord your dog is stunning! I just love that breed - so sweet!

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare, and love we can spare. In return they give us their all. It is the best deal man has ever made
Old 11-09-2006, 11:36 PM
Harumph™©®

I read where Lassie was always a male because they are larger and have heavier coats. Still I imagine episode shooting was rarely held up due to PMS. lol.

I got a female because I fell in love with her face the day she was born. But to be honest, I prefer male pets. I think male cats are way more flexible.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:45 PM
Top Dog

I personally am more partial to a well bred male Golden . I loved my females , but found my males more in tuned with me .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 11-09-2006, 11:47 PM
Twin 2.0

Same with Aussies...the females are great, but much more inclined to go do their own thing, while the males are clingier.

I'm starting to look at getting an Aussie from a breeder in the near future, because I'm starting to get the itch to show...I will always have my rescues though!
Old 11-09-2006, 11:52 PM
Training the Trainer

I've always had male dogs and female cats, until we got Ruby. There's no doubting (to me) that the males are more affectionate and physically loving, but I've never had a dog like my Ruby. I would definitely get another female.

And having said that, the male cats I've come across have always been more affectionate, too, except for my Sunday, who's just the biggest cuddle-bun that ever lived! Lol...

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare, and love we can spare. In return they give us their all. It is the best deal man has ever made
Old 11-10-2006, 02:11 AM
Dog Show Addict

You technically CAN show a bitch whos in heat - but ONLY for conformation. I personally find it very rude to do that though - speaking from a male show does prospective.

Bitches come into heat, and blow their coat which keeps them out of show season for a bit

Males can have a much fuller coat then bitches, BUT they get distracted with bitches in heat in the ring, or they become male dog DA if not handled correctly.

I would have prefered Riot to be a girl now that i've had experience with him, not honestly I LOVE the males coats better.
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Old 11-10-2006, 03:40 AM
Shiba Inu Slave

I tend to find that male Shibas are "sweeter" than the bitches. Kimi is very "feral," she isn't a cuddle-bug by any means, and I've found this to be true with most of the girls in her lines. The one puppy bitch she had was the exact same way. The males in her line are all much more "lovey" than the ladies. But once again, it boils down to the lines in your own breed, and your own experience.

As everyone has said however- breeders are FAR more likely to give you a male as your first time show dog than a bitch.

Old 11-10-2006, 06:14 AM
Int CH - $uperBitch

i'd go for a dog

dogs in any coated breed always have a much more impressive coat and are often much easier to get placed

Old 11-10-2006, 11:11 AM
Water Junkie

So a male would be better ...but I love the bitches too

Ugh choises!

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 11-10-2006, 12:00 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubylove View Post
Good Lord your dog is stunning! I just love that breed - so sweet!
Thanks!