Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 08-21-2004, 07:32 AM
Felurian

I've got the same kind of problem: Bimmer, for some unknown reason, lets Kharma eat out of his bowl, and of course, she thinks anything tastes better out of Bimmer's bowl! I gave up on feeding him the adult formula and they all just get Innova puppy food for now. Bimmer's such an active dog that it doesn't add any excess weight (we're actually trying to put a few pounds on him before winter every year, but it's hard). You might even consider mixing the puppy food and adult food half and half.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:30 PM
Terrier Lover!

Thanks for the suggestion! Mixing the two sounds like a good plan. At least Holly should get "some" of the puppy food this way, unless she figures out how to "sort" nuggets, LOL!

Old 11-23-2004, 09:35 PM
Top Dog

I have puppy dry food and I mix adult canned food for my 10 month old puppy.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:10 PM
Top Dog

What's a good dry food for dogs that is affordable and that contains no by pass products?
Old 12-07-2004, 09:34 AM
Felurian

We love the EVO by Innova. It looks expensive at first glance, but you feed much less than other foods AND you don't have the health problems - saving on vet bills down the road. Just be sure to follow the feeding instructions and DON'T OVERFEED.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-05-2005, 04:00 PM
Active Pup

We too feed Kaycee & Fritzi a food from Costco...However we do not feed the Kirkland one we feed the Teal bag that is "Nutra Nuggets" It is a premium food at a reasonable price I feel. It was not on any of the tests! Have a 13 yr old shepherd that has been on it since she was 2 and no problems with her. Kaycee is 7 w/allergies and been on it from when he turned a year. Mom has a 12 year old Newfoundland with dozens of alergies and no trouble! My other dogs are on Eukanuba Premium performance and Iams puppy. I live 3 hours from a Costco so I buy a lot at 1 time so I really don't want to feed it to all 6 and have to worry bout keeping it stocked! lol
Fritzi-13 yr German Shepherd, Kaycee-7yr Golden, Xoom-4yr Malinois, Zona-1yr Cattle Dog, Jolet-7mos. Malinois, Clinton-7mos Choc Lab. Clinton is a rescue dog he was found wondering the streets of Clinton Oklahoma. Xoom was also a rescue dog and spayed but she is the reason I fell in love with the Malinois and bought Jolet! We have high hopes for her! We are busy titling Zona in obedience and herding...maybe agility next! Fritzi was my obedience dog a long time ago! She is now retired! She is an OTCH dog! Hope I can get Zona and Jolet that far as well!
I also have 8 barn kitties and 40 cows.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:55 PM
Felurian

Aside from the nutritional deficiencies and chemical garbage found in Eukanuba/Iams products, have you seen any of the information on the reprehensible treatment of the lab animals the company practices? The pet supply store I use even stopped carrying any of their products because of this.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-11-2005, 10:06 AM
Big Dog

a really good article...

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/dogfoods.html

Some of the foods that people swear by are (in alphabetical order):

* Avo-Derm
* AvoActive Care
* Authority (at PetsMart)
* California Natural
* Chicken Soup for the Pet Lovers Soul (ed. note: gosh I hate that name for a dog food)
* Diamond
* Eagle
* Eukanuba
* Iams
* Innova
* Kirkland C & R (available at Costco - made by Diamond)
* Kirkland L & R (available at Costco - made by Diamond)
* Lamaderm
* Natural Balance
* Nutro Natural Choice
* Premium Edge
* Professional L & R
* Pro Plan
* Royal Canin Labrador 30
* Sensible Choice
* Wellness
"Dogs have given us their absolute all. We are the center of their universe. We are the focus of their love and faith and trust. They serve us in return for scraps. It is without a doubt the best deal man has ever made." ~Roger Caras
Prita's slideshow
Old 01-11-2005, 11:01 AM
Felurian

Some of the things on that site are common sense, but much of what is offered as "information" is nothing more than opinion offered in an authoritative manner with no factual or researched basis to back it up.

I do like the care they say they take in placing their pups, but I notice they don't say anything (at least anywhere obvious to me) about health guarantees, hips or address any possible health issues.

I think these breeders probably mean well, but may be doing as much harm as good with their nutrition opinions - you really can't call it solid information since there's really nothing much offered other than personal anecdote. If you'll check out Linda Arndt's site, I think you'll see what I'm talking about. There are others that are well researched as well, I really like hers because not only is the information good, it's presented in a common sense way that you can not only understand, but follow. One of her standards is you have to have a feeding program that the owner can actually keep up with - nothing so exotic that the poor owner gives up on.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-13-2005, 07:04 AM
Active Pup

Default Foods containing euthanasia drug

I don't want euthanasia (pentobarbital) in my pets' food either. However, you'll be a little relieved to know it's not coming from euthanized dogs and cats. Very sensitive tests were run in 2000 that showed a complete absence of DNA material from dogs and cats. It likely came from euthanized cattle. Still not good since it means the pet food company is using 4D meats.
www.fda.gov/cvm/efoi/DFreport.doc