Help! Puppy lost all house training two days ago!

I have a 15 week doxie/corgi mix that I adopted from a shelter appx. 4 weeks ago. She had been doing well with house training (I use a crate when I'm not there to supervise her), and hadn't had an accident in the house for 10 days. I take her out on a regular schedule, and when she wants to go outside between those times, she would sit by the front door.

Two days ago she had another vet visit where she had her rabies shot, parvo/distemper shot and bortadella vaccine (inhaled). All went as expected and she didn't seem as fearful of the vet as she has in the past. When we got home she wanted me to hold her (she has a clear signal for this); however, when I picked her up I guess I touched a sore spot. She yelped and ran away, and then acted frightened of me for about a half hour. Eventually I had to take her outside because I had to leave for a little while, but it was a struggle to get her leash on and she was still trying to run away from me. Nothing outside the house scared her on that walk.

Later than evening, she refused to pee or poo outside and acted terrified when I tried to take her out. Now she seems to have lost all house training. She doesn't want to do her business outside, and will hold it until she get's back inside. It's like I'm back to day one with house training her.

Has anyone else had this experience or has any suggestions on how to get past this?

Thanks!

Wednesday's Mom

Shirrell

I have found that about 2 weeks into breaking I have in the past had a setback. It usually passes.

Now to the fear of going out, that may be due to going out to the vet, I went outside I got hurt.

I suggest taking her out as usual and having a treat in your pocket and when she/he goes praise and give a treat.

As a phychologist, for every action there is a reaction, if the going out gains a treat, you are reinforcing the positive.

Thanks, Shirrell

I have been giving her treats when she does p/p outside, and will continue to do so. I also started giving her a treat when we are about to go outside and she is sitting by the door. My hope is that this will reinforce her usual (albeit temporarily lost) signal that she has to go out.

I just hope this is only a phase and will pass quickly!

Wednesday's Mom

Doberluv

Pups go through little periods where they are prone to fear. Don't hover too much or act too concerned. Be confident and pass that onto her...cheerful, like nothing is a big deal. She'll be fine. You're doing great.

Sean5033

I was just logging in to post that the same thing has just happened to me and my JRT puppy. She's 4 months old this week. She was doing pretty good, and then she just lost it all. If I leave the doors open, she'll even choose to go inside and not even attempt to go out. It's almost like she's forgotten everything she's learned over the last 2 months, except now her messes are almost full size instead of puppy sized. She's gone back to crying when we put her in her crate at night or before we leave.

It's *so frustrating*!! I try my best to be calm and patient, it's hard watching all the hard work and training we've put in get pushed aside.

I've learned from lurking on the boards here, that everything is Cause and Effect w/ puppy training. But I can't pin down an event that might have caused her to go back so drastically. I did miss dinner one night because I had a really late event right after work. I skipped the meal instead of feeding her so far off schedule. But would that cause her to lose all of her training like this?

Any advice would really help me out...
Thanks!
-Sean

PS: sorry if I'm threadjacking, but it seemed like a really similar issue and didn't want to start a new thread.

Doberluv

It's absolutely normal for dogs to regress from time to time with their learned behavior. They have stages they go through. I don't think a little variation in schedule would be a big deal. I was never super regimented with my dogs' schedules. Things varied. More reinforcements for wanted behavior, patience, maturity and the pup will pick it up again. Relax and enjoy your puppy.

Things got better this weekend. She has been going outside and hasn't had an in house accident since Thursday. However, she is still somewhat afraid of her leash and tries to hide when I pick it up.

I've noticed that she has been scratching her neck where her collar is, but I haven't been able to find any marks, bites, sore or dry patches, etc., that would be the cause.

We'll just keep on moving forward.

Thank you to all who helped me out!

Wednesday's Mom

Sean5033

Hey Wednesdays Mom, I'm glad to hear that your pup has been behaving better. I just wanted to chime in and say that my pup has behaved as well as she ever has over the weekend. There's still some room for improvement (She had an accident or two) but at least she wasn't staring at me when she did it.

In addition we started her on clicker training today. After reading how productive it is all over the boards here, it seems like it's worth a try. Already I can see some changes in the way she's acting. It's very encouraging. :)

-Sean

Doberluv

However, she is still somewhat afraid of her leash and tries to hide when I pick it up.
What do you do when she hides? Try to associate it with something she really loves. Give her a treat when she is near it and not showing fear. Don't fuss over her when she's fearful. You can maybe use it like a toy sometimes to turn it from a scary thing into a good thing. It may make her try biting and playing with it while you're walking with her, but you can fix that later. I'd be more interested in making her like it....wiggle it on the floor for her to chase if she likes that sort of thing.....and pick it up lots of times during the day in varying contexts without putting on her or going out.

Glad things are going better.

There's still some room for improvement (She had an accident or two) but at least she wasn't staring at me when she did it.
Remember, if she has an accident in the house, that's your fault, not hers. LOL. What would it mean if she was staring at you when she did it? That she was being defiant? Dogs don't think like that. She just hasn't had enough time for enough reinforcements yet for outside peeing and she probably needs more maturing. Everytime you allow an accident in the house, you're providing her with one more reinforcer for going in the house, causing the behavior to be repeated. Peeing inside is easy and nice to her. She doesn't have to stop playing, go outside, there's probably a nice absorbent carpet, it's convenient and she may not even feel it very much ahead of time. There's every reason to go inside to an untrained pup. Inside is better so far. You have to make going outside the greatest thing for her. And prevent accidents. Keep at it! Good luck.:)

Members online

No members online now.