Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-06-2006, 09:04 PM
Twin 2.0

Without having seen the event, I'm more inclined to believe that was an accident of two intact dogs just having hate-on-first-sight issues and less of a breed thing.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:11 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
Wow, calm down....no need to get your panties in a twist.

When talking about BSL, chaining issues are irrelevant to BSL laws. Therefor, any comment on chaining is irrelevant to the thread. If you want to discuss chaining, I would be more than willing to do so....On a different thread.

I live in Ontario where BSL is taken very seriously and to start a side issue that is very inflammatory to certain people takes away from the discussion.

I was not rude or nasty and I attacked no-one, contrary to what you are now doing to me.

Ignorant means uninformed, not stupid.....To make such a blanket type comment about chaining is ignorant.

I take BSL very personally having lost my dogs to the law. I refuse to spay or neuter my dogs and to keep them safe had to ship them out of Ontario.

Dry creek. I will give you some good advice like the others have. Calm down
and take a step back. (doing highlights in red along with your words makes you look angry in this thread)

Here are my red flags (do not accuse me of thread hijacking because you where the one who posted some of them in your thread out of the blue and off the topic at hand)
1) You thinking its inflammatory that people do not like chained dogs
2) You not neutering your dogs
3) Giving up your dogs because refused to follow the law and neuter them.
(I live in ontario and know the law very well, so I know what you are referring to)

If you want to discuss these you can pm me or open up a new thread.

Last edited by misticaleclipse; 11-07-2006 at 12:25 AM.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:15 AM
Big Dog

After reading the previous posts, I am hoping not to get off track. Just wanted to add this info. My homeowners insurance contacted me to "update" their info, after I had a claim. One of the questions they asked was what kind of dogs I had. I refused to answer their questions until they answered mine. My question was WHY are you asking?? They then proceded to give me a ridiculous list of dogs , and said that if I have any of those dogs, I would be dropped from homeowners coverage. I asked what the criteria was in coming up with the list, and they said that it was the kind of damage these dogs could do IF they bit, not necessarily that the dogs often bite. Then I was told that some little dogs can be snippy, but they can't do the damage. It all boils down to money........they don't want to pay if a dog causes major damage. I don't know much about the organization that was mentioned previously, but I am going to try to learn about it.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:52 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Ugh! That is insane

I am so sick of BSL. I wish that people would understand that it isn't the dog, it's the owner.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 11-07-2006, 03:57 AM
Top Dog

MyIrishwolfie, your babies the cutest! As a trainer who specializes in behavioral modification of aggressive dogs, who owns a Dobie, shows all-breed, primarily working, herding and some terrier, I have a great deal of concern for this and hope Chaz members will join me in putting together a letter, of sorts, to distribute to some industry pros. I have been attacked 3 times in 24 years. Only one of these incidenses involved a "best friends" listed breed. The first, an intact male Chesapeke whose owner dropped the lead in class and her dog went after a male Rott. A very bloody fight ensued and I had no choice but to try to break it up after kids exited the room and myself and the dogs owners were left. It was the Chessie who turned on me and latched onto my thigh, sending me to the hospital. (Not the Rott) The next, 3 yrs later a male Am staff mix bit me in the side of the head as I was seated, speaking to a group class. The owner entering my training building, extended her flexilead and couldn't retract it in time. She came to the wrong room. Was suppose to check in w/office to enter the dog in a month of board and train w/me. As I stood from my chair and went to take his collar as he was coming up, he got me. The third, Sharpei, who latched onto my arm from a seated position, launching himself at me. Another trip to the hopsital, stitches, ect. All of these incidenses happened in the first 7 yrs of my training career. All of these were avoidable and I have learned to deal with them differently now. None of these issues were breed specific. I've had no more problem with these dogs intent to do damage than I have certain Cocker Spanials and Poodles who've goten a bite in on me during my early days of grooming. The problem is large breeds obviously do more damage and that means no large breed dog is safe from being added to these ban lists someday. If you let them ban one, many more will follow.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:57 AM
Loves off-leash training!

I think there are many "grass roots" things we can do as individuals, in addition to encouraging the well-known behaviorists, doctors, and trainers to speak up.

First, we can each make sure that our own dogs are well-behaved, under-control members of society. We need to socialize properly, train consistently and teach our dogs how to act around other people and dogs. The worst thing we can do is have poorly behaved dogs that propagate the concept of being aggressive, and any dog that is reactive to people or other dogs works against us when it comes to BSL.

Second, we can take our well-behaved dogs out in public and talk with people. Show what a nice dog you have, tell people how you are working against breed bans and PROVE to them that your breed is more than teeth and hackles.

Third, offer to take your dogs to meetings - city meetings, legislative meetings, etc. - and talk about how important dogs are to the social growth of children, how they provide therapeutic effects for large numbers of people, and tell them how many voters have dogs. Write up a good speech and play on the emotions of those listening (many will have dogs of their own).

We may not be able to get to the big events, but we can set the wheels in motion in our own areas. Maybe we can even put together something here on chazhound that can be used as a speech or even a letter to the editor for your hometown newspaper.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
Old 11-07-2006, 07:31 AM
Dog Lover Boutique

What exactly does a ban mean? Do they just not allow the dogs into the country or you are not allowed to breed them? Surely all of those dogs can't be dangerous?
Old 11-07-2006, 10:18 AM
overdogged

carlar- it depends on the place and on the law. there are places, like denver, that pit bulls are illegal. if you get caught with one, they'll take it and kill it. period.

other places, such as ontario, allow existing pit bulls to still be there provided that they are spayed/neutered, muzzled at all times off their property, and nine zillion other little things.

in some places it means spay/neuter, in some places it means muzzle, in some places it means a ridiculous amount of liability insurance, in some places it means death.

BSan-- a lot of insurance companies are like that. ones that are not are few and far between.

one thing that i really wish is for more people who do not own "dangerous breeds" to get involved.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?