Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-31-2006, 12:27 AM
Active Pup

Default My dog likes to "suck".

Have a 6-7mth old male pup which I got from a rescue group.Well he came complete with his own teddy bear.He sucks on the legs of it and kneads it with his paws.Ive watched and he closes his eyes while he does it.Does anyone know why he does it?It can be annoying especially when I can hear sucking noises quite loudly at times.Will I do any harm if I wean him off it or do I just wait till he grows out of it?
Old 10-31-2006, 12:28 AM
Top Dog

Love!
Old 10-31-2006, 03:22 AM
Top Dog

He was probably weaned to early from his mother. That teddy is a substitute for her. Probably grow out of it. I think it is kind of cute. Sounds like pup is just a baby still.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:34 AM
Top Dog

Daughter's lab never out grew it !!!! Rudy didn't have any special stuffed toy , but did it when he was tired . He too was rescued but was with his Mom until 8 weeks old .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 10-31-2006, 11:40 AM
fastpitchchic

It's possible he will never outgrow it. KC is 5yrs and still sucks on his toys. I notice that he does it when he gets sleepy.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:38 AM
nothin' but a hound dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirtsmom View Post
He was probably weaned to early from his mother. That teddy is a substitute for her. Probably grow out of it. I think it is kind of cute. Sounds like pup is just a baby still.
Yep, he was probably weaned too early or didn't have a mother to feed him at all.

Gordy is about 7 months now and he still sucks on his favourite gorrilla slipper all the time, just as you described with his eyes closed.

The breeder said that because the mother of the litter had to have a c-section to deliver the pups, she never knew that they were hers. As a result she just ignored them and they had to be bottle fed. He said that the pups will probably suck for a while because they never had a mother.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:39 AM
Show Dog

Jasmine is two, and she still sucks her teddy. When she get tired, she picks it up and carries it around with her, much like Linus and his blanket. I love it and find it so endearing!
We have been through quite a few teddies though, as sometimes she'll get a wild hair and will shred them to bits. I oughta buy stock in those darn teddies!
Old 11-02-2006, 10:52 AM
Active Pup

that is cute...