Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Buried Bones

Old 10-15-2006, 09:39 AM
Active Pup

Amen...very well said.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:54 PM
ME+DOGS=CRAZY

wow, I never looked at this thread! I love it
Old 10-26-2006, 08:31 PM
Top Dog

Wow this is such a great thread. This should be copied and posted on every forum that exists because some of them are so mean! In another forum (a cat one) I am a part of, half the things people say on here they would be kicked off for on there!

I think one big problem is that people tend to forget that we aren't talking face to face. We cannot see the other persons immediate reaction to something we say to know what to say next. If we need to immediately clear up what we meant, or to laugh to show it's a joke, or whatever. People forget this stuff, and they come across in the wrong way making others upset and feeling bad.

Another thing I think is totally rude and can't stand is the smilie with a box of popcorn. When someone asks a "stupid" question and a few people reply with just that smilie...showing they know the person asked something dumb and they are about to get flamed...Maybe I take that one the wrong way, in which case is a good example of the 2nd paragraph I just wrote, but I just think that is so rude.

<--- this guy I mean
Old 10-27-2006, 10:38 AM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalLoverCatRescuer View Post
lf the things people say on here they would be kicked off for on there!

I think one big problem is that people tend to forget that we aren't talking face to face. We cannot see the other persons immediate reaction to something we say to know what to say next. If we need to immediately clear up what we meant, or to laugh to show it's a joke, or whatever. People forget this stuff, and they come across in the wrong way making others upset and feeling bad.

Another thing I think is totally rude and can't stand is the smilie with a box of popcorn. When someone asks a "stupid" question and a few people reply with just that smilie...showing they know the person asked something dumb and they are about to get flamed...Maybe I take that one the wrong way, in which case is a good example of the 2nd paragraph I just wrote, but I just think that is so rude.

<--- this guy I mean

Couldn't agree more with you. You'll find that there are many who do this purposefully... it's not cool. But I suppose they get enjoyment out of it.

I am all for jokes, though, just when the time is appropriate.

Old 10-29-2006, 08:16 AM
Harumph™©®

I do have a suggestion for the experienced people who find themselves answering the same question over and over and over for newbees. This can be frustrating. I am a computer person so I find myself in the same boat with another subject. So, when somebody asks me how to speed up their computer, for example, I whip out a prewritten previously massaged answer and then I cut and paste it. That way I don't find myself chewing my knuckles writing this again. It really works and it takes a few minutes instead of all the time it takes to write the same thing over and over and over again.

I'm a doggie newbee, haven't had a dog in decades, so I'm sure I have asked some questions that have really simple answers, ad nauseum. A good ole cut and paste can go a long way to keep experienced people from secretly groaning, "Oh no. Not again". The same goes for those subjects a newbee asks that opens a can of disagreement worms. It gives the poster a chance not to react personally while still offering the Pro or the Con to the opinions offered.

Just my two cents for what it's worth.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:46 AM
Nobody In Particular

As a computer person myself I know EXACTLY what you mean (No, I dont have time right now to come and see why your X wont do Y... I have my own computer work to do!). And, yes, It would be very useful for the chaz people to put together a FAQ or a WIKI and simply link appropriately
Old 10-29-2006, 11:31 AM
Harumph™©®

I can tell you've been there. lol. How about, I also don't have time to do it for "free". How about, when they not only want free help, tie you up for hours, but they aren't willing to bother doing the work you give them EXPLICIT instructions for? How about I hop a plane and help ya out. lol. I find it amazing the trouble someone can get in with their computer but how they would rather just let their computer die than take the time to follow some simple spelled out procedures and download a couple of simple programs and run them. You?
Did you notice that being a software engineer and/or computer security person online is worse than being a doctor?
Old 10-29-2006, 11:42 AM
Nobody In Particular

Yea, I know your pain. Even worse when you're a SOFTWARE engineer and at family reunions all people want to talk to you about is which computer they should buy. Like we care

But seriously, I got 3 letters for you: V N C

even works with a firewall if you look into it. Punch a port in your FW for your PC, setup the client in listening mode on your PC, have their PC running a VNC server, they right click the vnc icon and click "add client" or some such. Give them your IP, and then POW you're controlling their computer.

The computer equivalent of having your dog on a training lead

"Here's just enough freedom to get in trouble, but not so much that I cant give you a good yank"
Old 10-29-2006, 01:22 PM
Harumph™©®

Actually I configure computers for friends pretty often, mainly because I am afraid they will go to circuit city and get talked into a dog, scuse the pun. You know, no Ram, celeron processor, such a deal!

I shy away from remote access, people are funny. Soon as something goes wrong, guess where the pointed finger goes? Right up your benevolent nose.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:18 PM
Who woulda thought <3

bumpty bump....read people read...