food aggression

I have recently recieved a malnorished stray daschund. He started a fight with our old blind dog over what I think was a bone. Our older dog stumbled in front of the daschund while he was eating a bone because he has no idea where he is going. Is there anyway we can prevent another attack by the daschund? Another thing the Stray is not fixed does that have anything to do with it? :confused: I love both the dogs and I dont want them to get hurt.

Debi

I would feed them separately until they become very used to each other. I also wouldn't expect them to share bones and such at this point, so I'd give those treats separate, too. If this new little guy was malnourished when you got him, can't blame him for not exactly wanting to share. If he has gone hungry in the past, seems logical to me that he is gonna be a bit possessive about his food.

Debi's right; the Doxie probably won't ever want to share coming from that background. It will help to have him neutered, which you should do anyway since it would be impossible for you to have a reliable knowledge of his genetic lines.

Good on you for taking the little fellow in! What kind of dog is your older dog? My parents have an Australian Shepherd who was born blind; he's getting very old now, but he's had a wonderful life and is a real testament to how well our animals cope with less than perfect situations.

F

FaceZ Of DeaTh

Neuter The Dash For Behavior Purposes And Treat The Old Blind Dog With Care. Do Not Let The Blind One Go Near The Dash When It Eats.

Members online

No members online now.