Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 10-17-2006, 09:31 AM
Collie Crazy

I highly doubt that all those breeds mentioned above were only created out of two breeds. Something else must have been added because a mix of two breeds does not qualify for a new breed registry. If that were the case Cockapoos would have long been accepted in the AKC
Old 10-17-2006, 09:43 AM
cindr

Well I ask this' what is a true cock a poo? The reason I am asking is this yrs ago a woman contacted me to groom her dog. I asked what breed it was she said Cock a Poo! I figured that the dog was going to be 15 to 25 lbs. Well when the dog came in it was not either breed. It was a bouvier cross, 80 to 100 lbs.

I asked her why she told me it was a cockapoo. She said that was what the people told her it was. So again how do we truly know what breed it is when it is a mix?
Old 10-17-2006, 06:05 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzieCollie View Post
I highly doubt that all those breeds mentioned above were only created out of two breeds. Something else must have been added because a mix of two breeds does not qualify for a new breed registry. If that were the case Cockapoos would have long been accepted in the AKC
If that's currently true (I don't know - I'm trusting you on it), I wonder for how long that's been the ruling, because new breeds have been developed continually since time immemorial, so many may have come in under older systems. Non-US kennel clubs may also have different systems, and all kennel clubs probably have special systems for accepting foreign-developed breeds.

Actually, here's an even better one - the Biewer Yorkie. It's considered a separate breed, but is in fact from only one breed - it's genetically just a Yorkie in a different colour! (V cute too )

Del.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:32 PM
Are you dead yet?

I don't have a problem with mutts, honestly, but what purpose are these crosses filling? I can't call them breeds because most are just F1 crosses with a cutesy name slapped on them.
So many people make up so much BS about these so-called breeds in order to make people think they're legit. They're nothing more than crosses. They are not making ANY progress towards becoming a breed, it's just a ton of F1 crosses with nearly infinite possibilities as far as traits go.

Nobody ever told me what niche the "Schnoodle" or the "Goldendoodle" is filling. What about the "Pomchi" or the "Pappihuahua"? What's the point when there are TONS of dogs in shelters that would be equally good companions?

There are so many breeds out there. If you absolutely need certain traits, why not find a purebred that has been bred for YEARS for those traits?
Old 10-18-2006, 12:46 AM
Top Dog

Originally Posted by Muggie'sMum
SPL - the issue of horse slaughter is completely different - it is an actual industry and by abolishing it, you're looking at getting rid of several jobs. The end result is actually something more than ashes -- whereas kill shelters are just that. Animals die and that is the end of it. There really isn't a comparison there, IMHO.

Whoa ok..this is a completely different topic that I would strongly suggest that we avoid..I for one, am COMPLETELY against horse slaughter...end of story...this will open up a whole new can of worms..lets stick to the topic...

Back to topic: I agree with what some people have mentioned..there are enough purebreds now that have filled every working niche..we don't need to breed more...there is no purpose..and yes, times have changed..when dogs were so called "crossed" back then to produce a breed, the dog population was nowhere nearly as tragic as it is now, shelters did not exist, and people were breeding for specific jobs...

Alright..done...