Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 10-14-2006, 11:06 PM
Active Pup

Default Help with finding a good breeder

Hey everyone, FNG here. I did some searching and found some breeders for an American Mastiff but does anyone know any good breeders? I live in Alaska and any info would be great!
Old 10-15-2006, 01:02 PM
Top Dog

Will check your area and get back to you. You are probably going to have to be willing to pay to have a puppy shipped to you. Back soon.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:59 PM
CASSA

At first Bandogs were called American Mastiffs.

NOw Anatolian X Mastiff are called American Mastiffs-

So they are mixes without the doodle name.

If you want one just make sure BOTH Parents of BOTH breeds have been cleared or rated for Hip Dyplasia and heart for the Mastiff.

The mix is supposed to make the Mastiff Healthier and the ASD is supposed to elimate drool however I have friends who had them in rescue they do drool..

Best of luck with your choice.

If you are going to us the dog outside in your area best get one with the Coat of a ASD or a ASD or Kangal.

I know good ASD and Kangal breeders but I cant send anyone to a breeder until they close a stud book to make a breed a breed.

Here are some pure kangals

http://www.planetmolosser.com/galler...50/kangals.jpg
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
[B[/B].
Old 10-15-2006, 09:32 PM
Active Pup

Hey thank you both for the help and info I appreciate it I don't mind paying for the shipping, thats no problem. At first my wife wanted a pug but I work out of town for 2 weeks so she agreed on a mastiff. Thats what I wanted
Old 10-16-2006, 01:20 AM
Int CH - $uperBitch

Quote:
I cant send anyone to a breeder until they close a stud book to make a breed a breed.
what do you mean by this?

Old 10-16-2006, 06:00 AM
Loves off-leash training!

Hey tate - what part of Alaska? I'm down on the Kenai.

I have a friend with a mastiff down here, but I'm not sure if it's American or English. BIG guy! The only problem is that he is seven and already showing signs of age. Are you aware that when you get these huge dogs you are going to have them for a shorter life-span than a more moderate sized dog? Eight or nine is probably as long as you'll have the dog.

I just celebrated 15 years with my 40 pound chow, and my shepherd is ten years old and going strong. I just hate to see anyone lose a dog any younger than they need to, and when you start with a giant breed you're pretty much going to lose them younger than most breeds.

Good luck in your search!

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
Old 10-16-2006, 07:47 AM
Active Pup

Hey Melanie, nice looking dogs you go there. Are you from Iliamna because of your handle? I live in Anchorage but work in Prudhoe Bay.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:11 PM
CASSA

The american mastiff is a mix f1 generation hybrid they are not breeding true YET. Which means they are still mixing. For them to become a BREED they need to breed American mastiff to american mastiff for 3 generations then they are the American Mastiff _breed.

Some breeds such as UKC CHinooks or rare breed Shilohs Admit they are either under development or need need new blood to restore a breed.

So they will bring in a different breed to save a breed ..

But per UKC rules they do not get a 3 generation pedigree they get a special stamp which tells the buyers you know this is a Chinook x a or a Shiloh shepherd X a White shepherd.

Hope this helps..

And I can send people to ethical Kangal Or ,Mastiff breeders I just dont know of any American mastiff breeders testing and or breeding true YET.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
[B[/B].
Old 10-17-2006, 03:47 AM
Loves off-leash training!

Hi Tate -

No, I'm on the peninsula. Iliamna is my favorite mountain though! *L* Only an Alaskan would understand the "iliamna" part of my name.

Hey, I've been to Anchorage AND Prudhoe Bay! *LOL* My ex used to work for BP.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska