Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 10-11-2006, 08:55 AM
BusterLove

Default becoming a trainer

wow. its hit me. dogs. i dont know exaclty what i want to do with my life...but i know i am going to save animals.

i am going to take grooming and training courses. my mum wants to own a kennel. so i can work from there. that'll be perfect.

i looked into the National Dog Trainers Federation in Australia. they are the only nationally accredited dog traingign program in australia and it runs over an 8 month part time period. i have to wait a year and a half befrore i am old enough to join though.

trainers: any addiotional trainging/experience i could look into?

i am intersrted in working somewhrre here part tiem that would assist my learning

Old 10-11-2006, 10:05 AM
cindr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrose_s View Post
wow. its hit me. dogs. i dont know exaclty what i want to do with my life...but i know i am going to save animals.

i am going to take grooming and training courses. my mum wants to own a kennel. so i can work from there. that'll be perfect.

i looked into the National Dog Trainers Federation in Australia. they are the only nationally accredited dog traingign program in australia and it runs over an 8 month part time period. i have to wait a year and a half befrore i am old enough to join though.

trainers: any addiotional trainging/experience i could look into?

i am intersrted in working somewhrre here part tiem that would assist my learning
Here are a few tips:

1) Find a local dog kennel that is looking weekend help, check, their credibility through your local vets and spca's.

2) Volunteer at your local Spca or shelter. There you get to see first hand differant temprments and how they are dealt with.

3) Find a mentor one that has a open mind as far as to being straight foreward appraoch with both humans and dogs. Make sure that they only use positive training skills and reinforce them with the same POSITIVE. As well secure their credibility by asking questions, remember if the red flag goes up then leave as soon as you walked in the door.

4)Check out web sites and use the information as to a benifit of what you are looking to do.

5) Listen to the exceptional trainers here on the forum. They will not lead you in the wrong direction.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:57 AM
BusterLove

cool. i'll do as many of those as i can (for now, just number 5)
hopefull we'll move soon. and mum wants to buy a boarding kennel. i'll get a tonne of experience there. othr than taht, no training facilities, shelters or decent kennels in this town