Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 10-11-2006, 11:35 PM
Top Dog

Question Is a Growl always a Growl?

That didn't make much sense. My Lilly has not played with toys for several years. However, she has gone wild the past few weeks and has become extremely energetic, renewing her interest in toys. The thing is, when we play tug. she growls a little. She shows no other signs of agression, her eyes are sparlkling and playful and her tail is wagging a million miles an hour. She usuually does this from the "play bow" position. If I say anything to her, she stops and she always releases the toy immeadiatly on command. It just seems like she gets so excited she has to make some noise. Should I be worried that this will get worse? I don't want to wait until this is a big problem, but her behavior is so normal otherwise.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:36 PM
Walks into Mordor

I wouldn't worry. Growling is normal play behavior. Dogs play-growl all the time. Zeus growls and snarls like he's going to rip me to pieces whenever we play rough, yet he never lays a single tooth on me.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:50 PM
Fluffy Corgi Addict

When I play with Eevee she sounds like the raptors eating the cow in Jurassic Park lmfao... Some dogs are just very vocal when they play.

And every dog I've ever played tug with growls. Mine both do. It's a playful growl. The dog is just excited. >^^;<

Eevee
14-year-old F Border Collie Mix - My Heart Dog!
Ravinel Fox Magick, CGC (Shippo)
8-year-old M Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Cheetah's Training Blog
Old 10-12-2006, 12:01 AM

Agree^^ Dogs can be very vocal during play. It's really cool though that she has a renewed interest in toys, any idea what sparked this?

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Old 10-12-2006, 12:08 AM
Top Dog

Thanks for the replies, I didn't think it was anything to be worried about. I have no idea what has set her off. She is usually perkier when the weather cools down, but this is a wildness I haven't seen in years. She is now know as "Beagle Gone Wild" in our house.