FIV cat

I am trying to help a disabled woman find a home for an FIV cat. She catches strays and has them tested and vaccinated and neutered and rehomes them. She is having trouble since this one is FIV positive. People freak out when they see the FIV+ thing but he can live with healthy cats and will not transmit FIV to them, even with sharing food bowls and litterboxes.

If anyone is interested in a wonderful little orange guy who likes to sleep in bed with you, please let me know. Or if you know anyone with other FIV cats that might be interested in another.

Isn't he gorgeous?

Squidbert

Scum scum scum scum..SCUM
I thought that's what it was.. but it can't be transmitted to humans.. why do people not want kitties that have it? Unless of course they have other cats.. I understand that..

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
AWw, I'd take him in a heartbeat.... but no more animals for us. :(

I wish her the best in finding the little guy a home, how sweet that face is!

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
How is it that he can live with healthy cats without transmitting it to them? I didn't think that was possible with FIV cats... It's certainly not a risk I'd be willing to take. Especially since I'm sure as heck not vaccinating my healthy, indoor cats for FIV, when the vaccine is so risky.

He's a sweetheart, and I hope he finds a good home soon.

FIV can only be spread by mating and sometimes very very deep puncture wounds and even then is not always likely to be transmitted. FIV + and - cats can live together and share everything and there is absolutely no risk at all in transmitting it. It is FeLV that is the easily transmittable one. You are probably thinking of that, vanillasugar. Don't rule out all FIV cats as a risk you are not willing to take when there is absolutely no risk unless the two cats are complete enemies and fight until one is very badly injured from bite wounds which is a rare thing to have a cat that agressive. I would not vaccinate healthy cats for it either, even if they are living in the same house. I know many people with positive and negative cats living together. TNR groups are even releasing FIV positive cats back into the wild because there is really no risk. Like I said, it is FeLV that is the bad one.

So many people are misinformed about FIV. I even know of shelters that euthanize FIV cats immediately which is just horribly sad.

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
Interesting...

What exactly is the difference between FIV and FeLV? (For those who don't know, FIV is Feline Immunodifficiency Virus and FeLV is Feline Leukemia) I know pretty much only the basics about both illnesses...

FeLV basically compromises the immune system and leaves the cat more likely to get sick on a more frequent basis the healthy cats. Something as simple and minor as a respiratory infection can become fatal. FIV (lentivirus, or "slow" virus) is similar to HIV in humans and has similar effects as FeLV where it attacks and weakens the immune system. Neither

The problem with vaccinating against FIV is that the cat will always test positive for it if tested in the future. I often wonder how many cats who come into shelters have actually been vaccinated against it and don't actually have it. It also is important to not test kittens for it until they are 6 months old for accurate results. Kittens nursing will often test positive for it depending on the condition of the mother.

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
It also is important to not test kittens for it until they are 6 months old for accurate results. Kittens nursing will often test positive for it depending on the condition of the mother.
Yes, we learned this the hard way and had quite the scare with my youngest!! He was first tested at 6 weeks, we didn't know any better, and the vet I was seeing at the time only cared about the bill I'd be paying, so didn't tell us that testing at that age was ineffective. Test came back negative. Then as he grew and got older, he started getting sick all the time, with random ailments that made no sence. My new vet checking out his file one day asked if I'd ever tested him, and when she saw the age he'd been tested at, cursed under her breath at the other vet (everyone knows they suck), and highly reccomended we test him again. THANKFULLY it was negative.

Muggie'sMum

Mistress Wigglebutt
What a cutie, it's a shame she's having trouble with him. It seems like there are just some ailments with animals that people try their best to stay uninformed about - I can think of a few in horses, that's for sure!

What a babyface on that one. We have an orange kitty like that at home, she's quite old and still looks like a teeny tiny baby in the face.

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
Oh that is great that it was negative! Did you ever figure out what caused him getting sick all the time?
Nope, no idea. He's still pretty sickly... he's got bad eyes, and he's had gingivitis since he was a young kitten (weird eh?) and his hips are BAD (he's got bone spurs and the joints are mis-formed). I think he's just the result of really bad breeding (he's a stray, I don't know anything about where he came from).

Here's a pic of the bugger (I love sharing! lol) His crooked ear is from having two hematomas in a matter of a few months that needed to be lanced and ruined the cartillage, incase you're wondering ;)

PixieSticksandTricks

Athletic Labs. They Exist
Awww he and I have something in common :(. I wish I could bring him into our home. Im a huge cat lover. But I already have two and Rooney especially is driving my mom insane. I don't know there's always a possibility. He does look so sweet though. And I don't live far from you at all.

*sigh* torture.

Nope, no idea. He's still pretty sickly... he's got bad eyes, and he's had gingivitis since he was a young kitten (weird eh?) and his hips are BAD (he's got bone spurs and the joints are mis-formed). I think he's just the result of really bad breeding (he's a stray, I don't know anything about where he came from).

Here's a pic of the bugger (I love sharing! lol) His crooked ear is from having two hematomas in a matter of a few months that needed to be lanced and ruined the cartillage, incase you're wondering ;)
aww well he is a hansome little guy!

Awww he and I have something in common :(. I wish I could bring him into our home. Im a huge cat lover. But I already have two and Rooney especially is driving my mom insane. I don't know there's always a possibility. He does look so sweet though. And I don't live far from you at all.

*sigh* torture.
well if you change your mind.... :)

Members online