Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 10-05-2006, 09:41 PM
Grumpy Old Man

It use to be only rabies....now it is actually all vaccines.

You will have a very hard time importing them {getting across the boarder}

I use to do my own vaccines...can't now!
Old 10-06-2006, 12:00 AM
I Love My Belgian

Weird, my friend just had a litter five months ago and bought all of her vaccines at a pharmacy on the Island.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:29 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfsoul View Post
Weird, my friend just had a litter five months ago and bought all of her vaccines at a pharmacy on the Island.

Could this be just an Ontario thing now then? I cannot buy the vaccines anymore, they will not allow them to cross the boader. I sold a puppy with the shots bought and done by me....the guy actually went to a vet and I was sent a letter indicating that only licensed vets in Canada can give shots and say that the dog has the shots.

I guess maybe for you own personal dogs it is acceptable; but if you are selling the dog it must be done at a vets.

Cindr knows alot more then I do about this so check with her on it.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:56 AM
Top Dog

I still prefer vets doing the job............

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 10-06-2006, 10:09 AM
cindr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd View Post
I still prefer vets doing the job............
You are 250 % right. The way I look at it is this, and I have discussed the area with my vets. As I have 6 of them that I can rely on. When or if I received the vac from someone other than the vet! I am taking a chance with the quality. Now it states that it is the right vac for the right causes. But if placed in the wrong area of your home and or not used when it should be it becomes stagnated and or to be honest with you you are giving the dog a dose of water.

So now you sell the dog and you gave it the shot yourself, you feel the dog is vacinated and low and behold not. So the dog comes down with all kinds of illnesses. Who is to be held responsible? That's right you.

By going to the vets you are securing the dog as to being healthy, good hearts good temp good everything. By treating the dog yourself you are taking a large chance at selling someone a ill dog and being litterally investigated, shut down, sued and taking the possibility of being charged with animal cruelity. There is no reason to cut corners sometimes by doing that you lose in the long run.

As far as Canada, there are some Provinces that allow you to buy the vac over the counter but here in Ontario it is a federal Offence thus charges will and shall be laid and you better expect to go to jail
Old 10-07-2006, 02:14 PM
Big Dog

I buy the 40lb bags of Canidae approximately every 3 weeks for my 2, and that costs me $65.

I know many reputable breeders that give the first shots in their home. Since rabies shots aren't given till the 3rd set of vaccinations (at least where I live), most breeders don't have the dogs when that shot is needed.
I see nothing wrong with a breeder giving the boosters themselves.

But it's true that a lot of BYB's do skip a lot of things that really should be done in order to make money. There is never much money (if any) made on a litter that has been properly cared for.
Although, breeders that charge $2000-$3000 and even over that for a pup can't possibly say that they aren't making a profit off of them. I feel even for a CH bloodline of any breed, a fair price should be anywhere between $1000-$2000. Much more than that and I'd be questioning the breeders motives.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:18 PM
Big Dog

What part of Canada do you live in?? I know a few breeders in Ontario that get their vaccines from veterinary supply stores.

BTW, just because breeders may vaccinate in their home, why would you think they'd skip out on vet checks for the puppies?
Old 10-07-2006, 04:54 PM
cindr

Quote:
Originally Posted by britishbandit View Post
What part of Canada do you live in?? I know a few breeders in Ontario that get their vaccines from veterinary supply stores.

BTW, just because breeders may vaccinate in their home, why would you think they'd skip out on vet checks for the puppies?
I live in Ontario, you would have to be in Alberta or something like that to be able to purchase the Shots. I said that a lot of the breeders by pass vets because I dealt with a few in the summer. They gave the shots themselves said the dog was healthy and then sold them.

They as well gave the shots in the wrong area of the body where as the dogs ended up with an alergic reaction from the shots. So no not all breeders are that bad I was just trying to make a point. So that we can look at the differances as far as a what a good breeder would do and a byb would do.

We sell our pups for $1000.00 up depending on what we have in them. If I have to do all the shots I then attach that to the price. If the dog has started some ob training again the price will rise. If I title the dog then again the dogs price goes up. At no time would I charge $2000.00 for a puppy unless that dog was well worth the price. If I did it would included shipping costs. All of our dogs come from Quality stock and with that we offer a full two year health guar caused from breeding and breeding alone. We will not cover any ones neglect. We as well offer a buy back agreement. Thus securing that the dog does not go any where it should not.