Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-24-2006, 04:46 PM
Dog Show Addict

Even thought she likes being sprayed - the collar may still be effective to her b/c it will catch her off guard. She is normally used to being sprayed AFTER a barking session, right? Not during one..

She may also see the connection with you spraying her.

It will more then likely surprise her more then anything.

Definately video tape the first attempt with it one lol Its a funny one!
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Old 09-25-2006, 01:44 AM
Evil Kitty taco eater

Normally I wouldnt suggest water spraying but there are citranilla(sp?) spray collars.
I dont suggest it as it may give the dog or pup a fear of water which for us is a big NO NO. We dont use spray bottles or any type of water correction unless the dog is experienced in the water and we are training for hunt tests.

Where am I going? And why am I in this hand basket!!!?
Old 09-25-2006, 02:50 AM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerRiot View Post
Isn't it great when the older dog teaches the younger dog new unwanted tricks

We have two Shelties and a Belgian - I KNOW exactly what your going through with the barking. Our shelties feel it is their solomn right to "guard" every single inch of the house and let EVERYONE know that they are there.

Jada barks at things moved to a different part of a room - shelties need consistancy in their house lol
Jada barks at bugs that crawl on the ground - then she terminates them
Jada barks at the wind blowing the curtains inward
Jada barks at any movement from us that LOOKS like ies going to lead to a play session
Crosbie barks at neighbours that are outside "his" fence
Crosbie barks at birds
Crosbie barks at OTHER dogs around the niehgbourhood
Crosbie barks at a blowing leaf in the wind

Riot only barks when someone is at the door
Riot only barks when he feels threatened or feels that WE (his family) are threatened.. then its a very scary bark with growls..

I ended up getting a spray collar for the Shelties. THey NEVER know when to shut up and seriously.. its the best thing since sliced bread for them lol

They HATE being sprayed with water, so this was naturally the next step I took with them.

It works fabulously for Crosbies barking habits. He doesn't even bark outside now and hes only worn the collar a few times!
Jada has the collar on inside the house and out at times and its shut her up over 75% of the time now!

Deinately invest in the spraying bark control collar!
Jada sounds EXACTLY like my girls. lol! They bark at EVERYTHING (including their own shadows.... *which gets quite annoying at night when we're sleeping....) But exactly like you said, if something different is in the room, they FREAK out! They'll bark, growl, and lunge at the 'foreign object' until they figure out it's a shoe.....lol! What can I say?

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 09-25-2006, 02:52 AM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Oh, and from experience, unless you're okay with your dog being afraid at bathtime, and of water hoses, I wouldn't reccomend spraying. I tryed that w/ Crash, my GSD, and after that he WOULD NOT take baths (he'd actually bite us, but not really in an aggressive way, but more of a "please let go of me" way) or get near the water hose. We'd turn on the faucet, and he'd hide....go figure. lol. He did love still water though (lakes, ponds, puddles, kiddie pools). This may not be the case for all dogs, but I'm just give my experience. Good luck!!!

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)