Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-04-2004, 06:57 AM
Spoiled Rotten Dog

Bula and Dixie both get the same food, but Bula is the only one that eats the grass. Dixie doesn't do it. I was feeding them Purina ONe Lamb and Rice, but I had to switch to Natures' Recipe Allergy. Bula had real bad allergies and this dog food helped her out a lot. She looks much better.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:09 AM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbulliest
What kind of food are you feeding your dog? Although it might seem that its nothing to worry about, your dog might be lacking certain vitamins or minerals that they're trying to make up for by chowing down on the green stuff.....
As most of you've probably figured out from my posts, we're excrutiatingly fussy about our dog food. We feed Innova and supplement with calf milk replacer when they're pups (and will during pregnancy and nursing as well), and our dogs supplement their diets with whatever they can catch out here in the country. They just like to nosh on grass. They may crave it partly because of the live nutrients it provides, but it's unprocessed and organic out here and doesn't have any chemicals on it, so I just laugh at them when they're grazing like cows.

I really wouldn't consider eating grass a problem unless there were chemicals involved. It's really not a bad idea, either, if your dog is primarily a creature of the great indoors, to grow a big pot of grass in a sunny room, just like you'd do for an indoor cat.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:24 AM
Greyhounds

Both my dogs are big grass grazers too. I asked the vet about it & he said that it doesn't necessarily mean their stomachs are upset & that they just may like it. The only thing that really stinks about it is that dogs can't digest grass the way certain animals can & if they eat enough, they'll end up throwing it up. So, I watch them like a hawk to see that they don't graze because I'm sick of cleaning up grass puke on the carpet.

Jen
Old 08-04-2004, 08:58 AM
Spoiled Rotten Dog

Well, there aren't any chemicals on the grass that Bula is eating, so I think she will be ok. Her skin and coat is looking so much better since I changed her dog food.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:40 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbulliest
I'm not too familiar with Nova Pro Plan. I just know that most of the brands you get at the supermarket are chit...I dunno where that one comes from.
If the dog has an upset tummy I suggest giving it some light food for one or two meals...like scrambled eggs...they do wonders for dogs with upset tummies and after surgery sickness.

good luck u guys
Oh no. Just Pro Plan. Nova is her name ^_^
Old 08-08-2004, 02:03 PM
Active Pup

As long as the grass is not chemically treated, it is supposed to be good for your dog. It is the roughage and the fiber in your dogs diet. I read that b/c wild dogs eat their whole kill they end up eating the grass and plant in the intestines of their kill, and that is where they get their roughage from. But your dog dosent eat prey so he eats grass instead.
Old 08-08-2004, 02:19 PM
Labrador lover!!!!!

Talking hi there

hi there my dog always eats grass and so does my cat but my mum said it's a kind of medicine what they have to stop them getting ill any way i hope that helped and don't worry the grass does'nt hurt the dog it just makes them sick to get what ever the've eaten out!!! i hope to hear from you soon!!!
Old 08-09-2004, 11:58 PM
Puppy Dog

thannxx alot guysssssssss!!!!!!!!
Old 08-10-2004, 09:07 AM
Labrador lover!!!!!

Talking hi thats ok

hi there thats ok sometimes people need advice on things!!