Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 09-12-2006, 04:56 PM
Top Dog

Default Dog allergies -- Vet recommended steroid shot

My female beagle has been scratching consistently for the past month. I brought her into the vet a few weeks ago and she found nothing wrong with her skin. We assumed it was summer allergies. Her scratching has continued and the vet is now recommending a steroid shot which supposedly would alleviate her itching for possibly up to a week.

How safe is this shot and how practical is it?
Old 09-12-2006, 05:18 PM
Are You Blowing Me Off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomp View Post
My female beagle has been scratching consistently for the past month. I brought her into the vet a few weeks ago and she found nothing wrong with her skin. We assumed it was summer allergies. Her scratching has continued and the vet is now recommending a steroid shot which supposedly would alleviate her itching for possibly up to a week.

How safe is this shot and how practical is it?
I assume the dog doesn't have fleas...........

What kind of food do you feed? I switched Rockets food and all scratching stopped after a few weeks.

I would try a food switch before starting shots like that.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:37 PM
Love my pets

I just don't like subjecting animals or humans to steriod shots if not necessary as it can affect I think the liver. I'm wondering about a food change to and possible some oil in her food.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:44 PM
Dog Show Addict

Honestly it doesn't sound like a permanent solution.

Riot got seasonal allergies this spring and had to be given some medication in his ear which helped him considerably.

YOu could also try given them allergy medications.. depending on the size of your dog will depend on the amount given, but Benadryl usually helps out tons!!

Also, what type of food are you feeding right now?

Riot had crazy itchy skin when he was being fed Nutro as a puppy, but ever since I switched him to a higher end brand of food (Innova and now "Fromm Duck and Potato") hes completely fine and free of itchy skin!
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Old 09-12-2006, 07:37 PM
overdogged

if your dog has inhalant allergies (which really are pretty common. far more common than food allergies.) i'd ask about trying some antihistamines. adding omega three fatty acids in the form of fish oil may also be helpful.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 09-12-2006, 08:24 PM
Quigleyfied

Frankly, I wouldn't do it. It may be effective for a time, but often dosages have to be increased over time to remain effective, and it's very hard on the body.

Look into the natural supplement Quercetin, it's a natural anti-histamine and may very well help alleviate the itching. You'd have to give it on a daily basis for some time to build up efficacy though. The big thing Quercetin has going for it is that it is 100% natural and harmless.

Alternatively you can try benadryl on an as-needed basis. 1-2 mg per pound of body weight up to 4 times a day. The dye free caplets are good, or you can use the liquid version made for kids.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 09-12-2006, 08:42 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordy View Post
Frankly, I wouldn't do it. It may be effective for a time, but often dosages have to be increased over time to remain effective, and it's very hard on the body.

Look into the natural supplement Quercetin, it's a natural anti-histamine and may very well help alleviate the itching. You'd have to give it on a daily basis for some time to build up efficacy though. The big thing Quercetin has going for it is that it is 100% natural and harmless.

Alternatively you can try benadryl on an as-needed basis. 1-2 mg per pound of body weight up to 4 times a day. The dye free caplets are good, or you can use the liquid version made for kids.
Thanks Mordy, and thanks to everyone else. I will take your advice and not have the vet administer the shot.

In regards to the diet questions...

My beagle gets:

1 cup of Blue Buffalo with salmon oil and a natural powder mixture containing bone meal, nutritional yeast, lethicin, and kelp.

At night, I usually give her something like a frozen chicken wing.

And for treats during the day, I usually use organic yogurt in one of her kongs and some freeze-dried liver.

Her diet hasn't changed since I rescued her. She started to scratch as soon as the weather got hot.

As an aside, should I still take her to the vet? I have an appointment on Thursday. I'm not letting them give her a shot, but would it be worth it just so her skin can be looked at?
Old 09-12-2006, 09:19 PM
Quigleyfied

Having dealt with seasonal allergies in my own dog before (itching, watery eyes), I'd say cancel the appointment and keep a close eye on her. You can still take her later if issues don't resolve as the weather changes.

The Benadryl made a great difference for Quigley.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!