Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 09-12-2006, 02:58 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

good thread. i was wondering the questions too.
online i ordered a raw hide with chicken in the middle (bad idea?)
i also got a kong, and a squeeky fleace toy
Old 09-12-2006, 03:02 PM
Top Dog

Every dog is different...you really have to do what you feel is best for your dog w/ the knowledge you have, and research any questions. A lot of people on this forum dont give their dogs rawhide, or similar treats. I give them to my dog...she has had greenies, but she loves bone marrow bones, and they are great for her teeth, last a LONG time, and definitly more cost efficient.

As far as Kongs go, a lot of people use them on here. Katie is not interested in them, even when filled with goodies. Im sure I could find SOMETHING to fill it with that would get her excited, but so far I've been SOL. Good luck!

Old 09-12-2006, 03:06 PM
Happy

I never gave 'greenies' because a) it goes against common sense to eat something that's green and yet not a vegetable (a green bone? Ew), b) I was a little put off by the relentless "best for you" ad campaign c) for a while there, they were so popular I felt like I'd be joining a cult if I started buying them. Then I heard the stories about them being a problem and I was very smug.

Rawhides make my dog very, very happy, but I'm much more careful about feeding them now. I very stupidly fed her a whole bunch in a short time (I believe it was around her birthday, and I was being all sentimental) and she got terribly sick. Hemoragic gastroenteritis. Ended up in the doggy ER, with an IV in her paw for two days. She's an inhaler of food, so I think she ate so many so fast, it bothered her stomach and triggered the vomiting. Scared me half to death.

The gross edibles like pigs ears and pigs trotters and various other parts of unfortunate farm animals I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole. Apart from the whole ew factor, I'm already uneasy with feeding my dog (and myself) meat, what with the horrible things I've read about the stuff they feed those animals. Hormones and steroids are bad enough, but the idea that some of them are eating feed made from ingredients that includes both other cows and dogs from shelters is beyond words disturbing. I still break down and buy her a burger from McDonald's, but I'm not getting in any deeper than that.