Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 04-24-2005, 02:53 AM
Active Pup

Default Charcoal as first aid

I thought i'd add a little tip for dog owners (and even humans for that matter). Charcoal can help in a pinch. The unabsorbed Theobromine will bond to it and be excreted with feces. U can find such stuff at a first aid store. it will be activated charcoal, i think. Consult a vet, though, to see if there is a particular kind for dogs. In a REAL pinch, use burnt toast. And when i say burnt, i mean black as u can get it, without it crumbling the minute u touch it. I used the burnt toast thing on my own dog after she consumed an entire bag of hershey's kisses, as it would be an hour before the vet could have seen her. Just thought i'd add this as a helpful tip. Make sure u have the dog examined soon as possible though. http://www.virtualvet.com/petowners/poisonfacts.htm is a link for more info.
AND
http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshel...25,832,00.html
Old 04-24-2005, 02:55 AM
Island dweller

Blah. Sorry. I'm sure that's good advice but I just remembered somewhere reading that burnt toast or anything burnt enough to be black is a carcinogenic. Just popped into my mind.
Old 05-29-2005, 01:04 AM
crazy white boy

Default Thor goes crazy for chocolate!

My dog Thor (APBT) is absolutely crazy for chocolate.Theres no where to hide it as soon as its in the house he will find it and cry at it until he gets some.that is the one thing that drives him crazy, he drools everywhere just from smelling it.I asked my vet about how bad he is and he told me that It woukd take Thor who is near 100 pounds, a pound of chocolate candy before he would get sick and could die.
I wouldnt test his theory, thats for sure.Besides i know that if you let your dog eat chocolate all the time it will become lazy and gain weight, and that is unhealthy.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:38 AM
Harley & Abby

Hershey's Kisses sure are popular!!

One easter when I was about 10 years old my sister and I had left two packets of easter eggs on the kitchen counter. We went to sleep and somehow (I have no idea) Harley got up onto the counter and tore open the two pakets of easter eggs, and proceeded to eat the whole lot, foil included. The next morning he had diarrhea and had vomited all over the place!
Old 07-05-2005, 09:27 AM
Felurian

Shiva and Kharma crave chocolate when they're going into season Shiva also gets zits on her chin, lol!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-08-2005, 11:56 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

I used to have a miniature schnauzer when I was younger and we went to visit my grandmother for easter and she made this big cake shaped like a bunny. She left it covered up on top of the table and tucked all the chairs in tight before going to bed. Somehow Tina got up there and ate the entire head of the bunny lol. she wasn't sick but man were we pissed off lol

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 07-11-2005, 06:15 PM
Twin 2.0

My old lab/dobie mix Meisha had a sweet tooth like none other, and a cast iron stomach to match. Three years in a row she ate my stash of Halloween candy, as well as my two brothers with no side effects. She also ate my entire fundraiser (had to be around 5 pounds of chocolate) one year, again without a problem. The only time she ever got sick was after eating five pounds of Jelly Bellys that were wrapped as my Christmas present under the tree.

The emergency vet clinic here told me that it takes a pound of chocolate to make a 22 pound dog ill. I found this out after Sawyer ate a dozen chocolate chip cookies the other day. He's 50 lbs, so nothing bad happened.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:56 PM
Blue_Dog

During easter my dog got into all are chocolate and was fine.

My friend says it was only because Bakers ckocolate harms them but i am quite sure all chocolate can hurt them.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:40 AM
Felurian

If you've read the article, you'll notice that there is a difference. Milk chocolate is relatively harmless, as it contains very little actual cocoa, although it's still not 100% safe, especially for small dogs. The darker chocolates with the higher content of actual cocoa are the ones that are most toxic.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-21-2005, 05:19 PM
Keyozilla

Wow I didn't know that chocolate was THAT serious and dangerous, I just knew they were bad for dogs.

Charlie licked a chocolate bar wrapper once. I guess that isn't very effective is it.

Meow.
Between the Rain Drops :: My graphics/personal website