Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 09-03-2006, 02:17 AM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc_spirit View Post
Someone told me it''s a survival instinct. If a Husky gets wet in the arctic it could mean death when the temperatures drop so it''s natural for a Husky to want to avoid water in order to stay alive. I dunno how true this is.

I just think they''re big wussies and know they can put on a show so they do
I think your right about that second part! They do seem to be the biggest wussies when it comes to a bath Maybe it's 'cause they are pretty and know it? lol
Old 09-03-2006, 03:06 PM
Shiba Inu Slave

OC- the person who told you that was right on, it's most definitely a survival instinct, and pretty characterstic of all the Nordic breeds. (Although a tendency toward "drama queenism" seems to be built into all of them as well...)

Most Shibas loathe water. Tai will wade when we go to the beach, but only if he notices that I'm paying more attention to a dog that is swimming. The Japanese tradition of "saving face" isn't just limited to humans in that country! Nevertheless, he will never go in far enough to get the "family jewels" wet. (Although I guess it's more like "family jewel," as he's neutered).

Kimi went in ONCE as a 7 month old puppy, purely because she didn't know what it was. She got so excited she ran straight toward the water, jumped in, and immediately turned around and came out. On dry land, she started trying to "kill" the water, her new sworn enemy. She has never ventured in since.

Old 09-03-2006, 03:34 PM
Puppy Dog

My first husky, although it was so long ago when I was very very young, would choose to wade into the pool and lay on the steps by himself. I figure mostly because it was his own choice, because if anyone tried to push him in he'd claw away as quickly as possible.

My current husky likes jumping into the pond water, always coming home with a nice fresh smell of algae from the park.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:51 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharlap290 View Post
My first husky, although it was so long ago when I was very very young, would choose to wade into the pool and lay on the steps by himself. I figure mostly because it was his own choice, because if anyone tried to push him in he'd claw away as quickly as possible.

My current husky likes jumping into the pond water, always coming home with a nice fresh smell of algae from the park.
LOL! I can relate. Misty, my passed Husky (RIP) used to LOVE the pond and creek in our yard. She'd come home Muddy, and wet (occasionally with a duck in her mouth ) and she STUNK! We would deal with it though, she was too cute to scold. We would go down to the creek in the woods, and she'd swim with us! She was so funny, but she'd always scare away any deer that would come to drink. We thought it was beautiful, she thought it was dinnertime. I suppose the fact that we were originally from Texas (and she'd spent about 5-6yrs of her life there) kinda ruined her instincts....lol!

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 09-11-2006, 09:54 PM
Big Dog

This is so funny. My BC/Samoyed mix loved the lakes and ponds to death! He will swim around and chase weeds forever. Even though he has a bad first experience.
Which I should share....
He was under a year on a leash with my hubby on a dock. They walked along the dock nonchalantly and to the end; it had a wooden rail. My hubby was admiring the view when the dog, Faris, just kept on and walked right off into the water! I don't know what he was thinking. Ker-Plunk! He went completely under the water and came up splashing desparately. Hubby tried to lift him up onto the dock and Faris was crazily trying to get back up, but he ended up having to swim back to shore. It was so funny. We still laugh about it. Faris is the funniest dog. I wish BC/Sammys were a breed.

Anyway, he big time detests getting a bath; I can't do it alone and he is a big bad moody guy the whole time.
He also does not like his tail brushed or face touched.

Owned by: Faris a BorderCollie/Samoyed mix, Lucy a mixed breed, and Pearl the cavie