Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 09-06-2006, 02:11 AM
Rusty but Trusty

Default How to correctly set up a new aquarium (so your fish don't die)?

Ok, we are getting a new and bigger aquarium in a couple weeks (a 75 gallon) for our two piranhas, one pictus catfish, and our algea eater. My question is how do you set up the aquarium correctly so they don't get so shocked that they die? I know I should put the algea eater in there right away but the other fish can go in right away (well after I let it run for a day or so)?

Old 09-06-2006, 02:22 AM
Jerk.

Use all of the water from the old tank to "seed" the bacteria in the new tank. Bag or tote the fish during the transfer in the old water. Dont clean your filters for 2 weeks before the switch and use the old filters on the new tank to jump the cycle.

Ive slammed fish from tank to tank depending on agression, plecs can be very agressive.

So set up new tank, bag/ tote fish in old tank water, transfer all the remaining water from old tank to new, top off new tank with new water, wait for temp to normalize, add fish. Pirhanas are tough river fish they arent temp shocked easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Sometimes BOTH sides are just full of sh1t.
AKpostal
Blog?
MyDrunkAdmin
Old 09-06-2006, 02:29 AM
Rusty but Trusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Use all of the water from the old tank to "seed" the bacteria in the new tank. Bag or tote the fish during the transfer in the old water. Dont clean your filters for 2 weeks before the switch and use the old filters on the new tank to jump the cycle.

Ive slammed fish from tank to tank depending on agression, plecs can be very agressive.

So set up new tank, bag/ tote fish in old tank water, transfer all the remaining water from old tank to new, top off new tank with new water, wait for temp to normalize, add fish. Pirhanas are tough river fish they arent temp shocked easily.

If my filter is going to be a lot bigger in the new tank (I have a 29 gallon tank now and am upgrading to the 75) how do I put the cartridges in the new filter? About how many gallons should I clean out every week of a 75 gallon. I syphon every week now and I take out 8 gallons every week, of the 29 gallon.

Old 09-06-2006, 02:38 AM
Jerk.

Just rinse the old filters in the new tank until they rinse relatively cleanly, or just run the old filters on the new tank for a week or so with new filter so it can catch up.

Quote:
Sometimes BOTH sides are just full of sh1t.
AKpostal
Blog?
MyDrunkAdmin
Old 09-06-2006, 08:29 AM
Top Dog

I would set the new tank up, let it cycle for a couple of weeks, bag the fish and float them in the new tank taking out 1/4 of the bag water and replacing it with tank water every 15 minutes until they are completely in tank water. Then set them free.
Also, I've found that if you're using charcoal filters, you don't have to do water changes weekly. Actually, I never do water changes and my tanks and fish are very healthy.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:04 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasobuco View Post
I would set the new tank up, let it cycle for a couple of weeks, bag the fish and float them in the new tank taking out 1/4 of the bag water and replacing it with tank water every 15 minutes until they are completely in tank water. Then set them free.
Also, I've found that if you're using charcoal filters, you don't have to do water changes weekly. Actually, I never do water changes and my tanks and fish are very healthy.
when we had the goldfish and other fish I never cleaned the gravel but with the piranhas eating the meats and stuff I like to do it every week to get rid of the food not eaten. I don't want them to eat the old stuff.

Old 09-06-2006, 03:01 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliefurry View Post
when we had the goldfish and other fish I never cleaned the gravel but with the piranhas eating the meats and stuff I like to do it every week to get rid of the food not eaten. I don't want them to eat the old stuff.
Ahhhh, gotcha!
I enver had those types of fish. Now that you've said that, it makes completel sense.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:41 PM
and Spy.

http://www.fishtanksandponds.info/se...radingtank.htm

GREAT website. They are like the fishkeeping bible. This should answer most if not all of your questions .

~Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.