Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 08-20-2006, 07:21 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Default Leaky guinea pig water bottle

Ok, Penny's water bottle is so leaky that there is a continous drip coming out of it. We need to buy another one but it seems like all the ones that we have ever used before have leaked. Her water bottle does have a ball bearing in it I always get those kinds. Also, does anyone know what the best guinea pig food is? I got her Kaytee Forti-diet from the pet store this friday but the woman told me to order Oxbow cavy cuisine and gave me their website info. I mean is it worth the extra money to order this stuff online rather than just keeping her on the Forti-diet? She seems to like the pellets that I just got her (yes it's just pellets no fruits or nuts mixed it). She seems really picky though on what she eats. Like she'll eat all her veggies (mostly carrots and spinach right now) and then her timothy hay and then if she gets really hungry she'll eat the pellets.

Old 08-20-2006, 07:35 PM
Brittany

Well, my guinea pigs are fine with the pellets too... I think as long as you give them fresh fruits and veggies you don't need a complex food. About the water bottle I buy mine from wal-mart and they seem to be fine? They are just simple guinea pig bottles and they never leak. Try to go to your local pet store or wal-mart and maybe ask an employee what they suggest? Hope I could be a help to you!
Old 08-20-2006, 07:52 PM
Big Dog

Well I can almost assure you wal-mart employees won't know the first thing about a good water-bottle for guinea pigs.

The clear ones at wal-mart are good, though, what I've found work wonderful though are the lixit water bottles, it's been the best when it comes to leaks so far.

Make sure when you fill the water bottle, to fill it right up to the rim, to the *very very* top, completely full. Then put the lid on and wind it as tight as possible, then flip it, make sure it is working, and that should help minimize leaking.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:23 PM
Rusty but Trusty

well we went to get a water bottle at wal-mart. They only had one guinea pig sized bottle and it doesn't leak. I also found a place closeby that sells the oxbow and maybe we'll go get those and see if she likes them. They seem pretty similar to the other foods, except for a couple ingredients. The way I see it is though she never had pellets or hay before coming here, just fruits and veggies, and she did fine so as long as I'm giving her some brand of just pellets and hay, with the fruits and veggies, she's getting a lot better food than what she was getting before.

Old 08-28-2006, 04:54 PM
Top Dog

I agree with Kay on the Lixit water bottles. I've heard many good things about them and the one I personally use for my rabbit is a Lixit glass one. I'm a germ freak and don't like the thought of bacteria accumulating in the plastic ones although you're actually supposed to change them once every 6 months or so.

As for the food, Oxbow is known to make good food for small animals. Kaytee is good but I'd personally feed the better one
Old 08-30-2006, 11:53 PM
Rusty but Trusty

I'll look into the Lixit water bottles for her and our new piggy coming soon. Never saw glass ones though. Wow, I changed them like every year and never even knew you were suppose to. We also found a feed store a few blocks over that carries the oxbow line, they didn't have the cavy cuisine but the guy ordered it for me and we started her off on it and she likes it. I mean she doesn't go crazy for pellets but she eats her whole bowl every day. The guy we get it from is going to order us 5 pounds every month (or other month we'll see how much all mine will go through) and doesn't even charge us extra. The petstore that is in the opposite direction but same distance wanted to charge us $5 to special order it. So we went with the feed store who charged us nothing but the price of the pellets.

Old 09-01-2006, 01:11 PM
Top Dog

i just feed sunny the food they sell down the petstore, my friend had a really fat guniea, and i mean fat, the vet said they didnt need the dry food only the fresh stuff (veggys)
Old 09-03-2006, 04:58 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Our vet insists on the pellets always being available so we do. We only give them 1/4 cup a day of pellets though, and then unlimited hay. We give them a cup of fresh veggies and some fruits (just a few pieces) a day. Penny is getting a gut on her but our vet said that is good seeing as she was fairly underweight when we got her. She might be pregnant agian though seeing as she was still with her mate when we got her so we give her a little extra just incase she is.